Friday, August 10, 2012

Mid 80's Today...Whew!!!

We finally had a break in the weather and it almost felt chilly...
Mid 80's...wow!!
Got up early and took Sophie to the doggy beauty shop. She had a spa day, one could say...
Picked her up and oooh...she was so proud. Pranced around!!! She knows we all think she's cute when she comes home from the doggie spa... Last time, they put a stupid bow in her hair...she didn't like it. She likes bandanas. I bet you think that dogs don't care or know the difference...but they do!!!
This week, on Facebook, one of my "likes" Powell Gardens, announced that the pond lillies were in bloom.
So with today's cooler temperature and after having been cooped up for the last few weeks, I was so excited to head out for one of my day trips.
Powell Gardens is about an hours drive from my house, so it really did feel like a real trip.
They call the lily garden "The Island Garden".  It has small falls, beautiful walkways and several ponds...islands.
Wow!!! Every color of lily imaginable...amazing! 
Almost all the pictures turned out fairly decent...but, how could they not??? It was just a beautiful place and I was lucky to be there.
 I was a crazed picture snappin fool.
But this is only half the story...
Today was the opening day for their "Festival of Butterflies"!!!!
 Normally trying to get a picture of a butterfly is like trying to herd cats. Dang...today they were even landing on me. I took so many pictures of butterflies that I worked up a sweat. I guess it would be more polite to call it perspiration...but when it's rolling down your face and your hair is completely wet...sweat  is the true description.
Finished up the day doing a truly senior thing.  A local buffet is actually pretty good. But here's the deal...if you get there right before 4:00, you get the lunch pricing. Promptly at four, they switch over to the dinner menu.  Add "senior" to it and geez ...I can graze the buffet, add deserts and still come out cheaper than going to McD's....which I hate. BTW...seniors are fast when food is concerned. Don't think that just because you're a teen, that you can outmaneuver or outrun a senior when they're down to one drumstick!!!
ommmm

17 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Yeah, don't cross seniors at a buffet. But you know who's worse? Nuns. They elbow you right out of the way. I know, I have had the bruises.

Out on the prairie said...

I actually hunt butterflies.I had one article where I calledthem "Flying Flowers". A term used by many.

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, hahaha...they've got boney elbows and fingers (for pinching) hahaha!!!

Steve, These were all located in one area. No hunting was needed. But it was like a sauna... Everyone came out sweating, but it was soooo worth it.

Rubye Jack said...

These are so beautiful!
And, can you believe this weather! I so hope it stays this way into fall but really know better. It is such a lovely relief though even if it is essentially merely a lull in the wretched heat.

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh Rubye, This heat has just been awful! And, "wretched" is the perfect word for this weather.

Linda said...

WOW lol it went to 65 last night & I was so happy...it has been around 81 and that is still too hot for me...I am a sweatshirt weather girl!!! I have got to get some of those purple water lilies...I have the pink but the purple would look soooo good next to them... Great post...loved the story about lunch!! LOL

XO

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, I love those fleece vests. The purple were beautiful and looked great with the pink. They also had white and yellow... Can't believe you have your own lily pond!!! How come you haven't posted pics???

Introverted Art said...

Hey, I got ran over by a scooter the other day... no joke.

turquoisemoon said...

Ana, That is so funny... Gotta watch out for them ole ladies!!!

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

2 things you don't do around old folks..mess with their food or talk during bingo.

turquoisemoon said...

hahaha...You are soooo right!!! Too funny!!!

Ashling said...

Oh wow....that looks like a fantastic place to visit!!!! You took great photos!

Sad when mid-80s feels like a break!

turquoisemoon said...

Ashing, No kidding...I feel like a cold front has moved in. hahaha

Randy said...

The are awesome. The mid-80's are wonderful.

turquoisemoon said...

Randy, The weather has been beautiful for the last few days. Lower 70's...that's a 30 degree swing. Almost chilly :)

TravelBug-Susan said...

Where oh where are the butterfly pics?

turquoisemoon said...

AAhhhh yes, I forgot. I'll get them posted sometime soon...thanks Susan