Sunday, July 22, 2012

Vacation in the Heat

Can you guess what this is???
I know it was hot...triple digits, but there's only so many days of summer.
My sister and I took our granddaughters to Silver Dollar City.
I did not ride on this, by the way... but, the girls did!!! Several times.
We took our  time, went into air conditioned shops, drank lots of water, rode wet rides, sat in the shade, went to several shows (again air conditioned), ate ice cream, arrived early in the morning, went home early in the afternoon, took naps and went swimming. 
We made it work! had a great time with the girls...
In a few weeks, summer will be over and school will be starting again, so we had to brave the heat and make the best of it.
btw....I don't do these! 
You have to be a certain height in order to ride on them...and the girls are that high!!! This is why my sister and I make this trip together every year. The girls can go with each other, and we can sit in the shade and wait... 
We don't have to go with them!!!
Didn't take my zoom lens. That would have been too much to carry.
I already was carrying my purse, camera, water mug and my annual supply of fudge... :)
I  took lots of pics, while we were there...again, it's funny how differently you see things when you're a photoista!!! hahaha....
I also took lots of grandmother type of pics...
ommmm

10 comments:

TravelBug-Susan said...

I am a roller coaster fanatic. The higher, faster and wilder the better! The coasters with the tracks on the top where your legs dangle free are my favorite.

My two favorite theme parks (that I've visited so far) are Cedar Point in Sandusky, Ohio, and Six Flags Magic Mountain in California.

Susan
http://travelbug-susan.blogspot.com

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You could not pay me enough to get me on that ride, LOL! Glad you and the girls had a good time.

Introverted Art said...

I LOVE roller coasters. LOVE them.This looks like so much fun. And the heat.. it seems to be a very hot summer for most people. It's gray and rainy today in South Florida.

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Oh you are one "tough" person -- to take on three digit temps at an amusement park. I would have melted the first half hour. This has been one heck of a hot summer! Maybe we will get a break from it all soon? -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh Susan...Yuk!!! I just find myself a shady bench and watch. ...and there's no way I'd hold my hands in the air.

Debra, I agree with you 100percent! Nooo way...

Ana, Now that surprises me about you! hahaha... A gray rainy day would make my day. It's so hot and dry around here.

Barbara, I did melt. No makeup after about a half an hour and my hair??? Just figured no one would recognize me... hoping for rain..!!! we need it so badly!

Jane said...

Sounds like you all had a great time :) I don't do roller coasters etc. any more either! I really like this set of pics - in this instance you did quite well without a zoom.

turquoisemoon said...

Jane, I was sure hoping that they'd turn out ok. We really did have a good time, in spite of the heat.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

they would have to pluck each and every one of my pubic hairs out and I still wouldn't get on that ride.

Arkansas Patti said...

I hadn't thought about how all this heat must be effecting kids on summer vacation. Their time is limited and they must really resent this miserable heat.
You managed the day perfectly which shows you really can be outside these day, with care and thought.
As a kid, I'd have waited in line for that ride. Today, I would join you in the shade.

turquoisemoon said...

Yellowdog Granny...ooh my! I take it you don't do roller coasters?

Patti, Honestly the girls did fine. I don't think kids worry too much about the weather, at least not as much as adults do.