Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Fourth of July

 Wishing all of you a Happy Fourth of July...and a safe one!
 This is Fort Osage. One of my recent road trips.
The sky was whitish/blue and it was very sunny. I probably should have used a filter, but had left it in the car.
Also, a tad too much sky??? 
Built in 1808 under the direction of William Clark, it overlooks the Missouri River. One of three forts built to establish control over the newly acquired Louisiana Purchase. It ceased operations in the 1820's. The Fort was abandoned during the War of 1812, as it was not considered to be under any threat from the British Empire or those pesky Canadians (hoot hoot Debra, She Who Seeks & Jane, Jane's Jewels) hahaha!!!
I'm thinkin the whole daggum thing could have been avoided if the Canadians had simply shared the recipe for Nanaimo Bars!!!  :D
BTW...Thank you Yellowdog Granny for the recipe!!!
BBQ at my house, then I'm off to a photography class. We're all going to the mall to get instruction on nighttime photography. We'll get help getting some fireworks pics. from a pro...ought to be fun and hopefully I have some good ones to share...hopefully!!!
Oooom

14 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Nice shots, it is hard sometimes to get a deep color in your sky.I think it depends a lot on direction,since you are seeing the lights refraction.The firework shots will be fun to try.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, Thanks. It's going to be really hot tonight, but I'm excited to get some hands on help.

Jane said...

Have a great time at your class. I should think about joining one myself - another blogger I visit just completed lessons and has now joined a photography group. It would be a fun way to pick up some pointers - which I need, my photography 'skills' are very limited. I thought these shots were great - I agree with Out on the prairie's observations.

turquoisemoon said...

Thanks Jane, Your pics are always wonderful. I've really enjoyed these classes. I've learned so much...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Happy 4th of July to you! And your Nanaimo Bar vs War of 1812 theory is brilliant! Hahahahahahaha

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, Isn't breaking bread (bars) together a sign of peace??? hahaha

TravelBug-Susan said...

When I got to the part about Nanaimo bars, I cracked up and read it to Bob, who busted up laughing too. Thanks for the fun blog post.

I've subscribed to your blog and see you've subscribed to mine.

Welcome. I look forward to learning more about you and your travels.

Susan
http://travelbug-susan.blogspot.com

NitWit1 said...

I know what you mean by dark blue skies. Find ye ole polarizer. However, sometimes the photo and the most effective polarizer angle are not in the same place.

Great luck on fireworks. I cannot stand the heat, so will be watching whatever is on TV

turquoisemoon said...

Susan, Looking forward to reading your posts and getting to know you.

NitWit, Thanks for the tip. I'm off to the class. Hope I get some good ones.

Arkansas Patti said...

Loved the shot of the old fort and the funny lines about our Canadian friends and how simple a truce could have been formed:))

Linda said...

That is interesting about the fort...I love history...is this the same Clark for Lewis & Clark?? I have got to find a photography class...the more you talk about it the more I want to take one..LOL I would love to learn how to do the night time shots...especially of the moon.... Looking forward to the fireworks pictures... :)

You have me curious about the nanaimo bars????

Have a beautiful day TM
(((HUGS))))

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, Fort Osage is very interesting. I hope to go back when they have some reenactments going on. When it's cooler...

Linda, Yes, Clark as in Lewis & Clark. I love history and especially Lewis & Clark. I'm amazed at their courage. No pictures will be posted of the fireworks...I did a horrible job. Forgot the basics under pressure. :(

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Bright, clear and sharp. You are at the same stage I am with your new camera -- for me quite complicated at times. In time we all take such thing in stride. I find the camera opens up new places we never thought to photograph. Enjoyed your post -- you write with a good sense of humor -- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Barbara, Thanks! Your pictures are great...isn't it fun??!!! My camera is helping me to "see" things in a new way. It's an adventure...