Monday, July 9, 2012

Attack of the Killer Grasshopper

Back in the late 80's my job required that I travel, not the world, but Kansas.
I was working at a small bank in Clay Center on a day much like today. I would get to a bank early in the morning, and leave around 3ish to get back home.
 It was hot that day, so I left the windows of my car cracked. 
I finished up my work and I was tired and still had a fairly long drive ahead of me.  I headed onto I-70...awww...on my way home, when something grabbed my leg and wouldn't let go.
It scared me...!!! I had no clue as to what it was??? I was all over the road! Over-corrected my steering several times, as this thing moved on my leg. 
Finally, I was able to pull onto a shoulder, stop, and get out of the car.
 A grasshopper had gotten into my car.  With my heart still pounding, I got the critter out and with a few deep breaths, was able to get back on the road, but never forgot that incident.
Do you ever wonder why people have single car accidents?
Drive Safely
Ommmmmm

15 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

And apparently bees in cars cause a lot of accidents too. Glad everything turned out well for you!

Teresa Evangeline said...

Grasshoppers have sort of these sticky legs, too, which must have been fun. My sister and I were returning from a dance when we were teens and, unbeknownst to us, a Junebug had gotten in the car. It was an interesting couple of minutes while we got off the road and figured it out.

Kelli Thomas said...

That was hilarious!! I am so glad you were able to pull of safely and get rid of your passenger.

Jane said...

That would have been a terrifying experience. I know I'd have a very hard time keeping my car on the road if I felt a mysterious 'something' crawling up my leg - yikes!!

Out on the prairie said...

A bit of insect fear, not my favorite to be climbing on me going down the road.

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, Oooh it was very scary! It had to have been or I wouldn't have remembered the incident for so long.

Teresa, Just wonder how many accidents really do occur because of critters? Wouldn't a snake in the car almost kill ya??? yikes!

Kelli, Hi Kelli! Haven't heard from you in a long time. Now I'm wondering if I've missed some of your blogs. I must drop by...

Jane, It was very scary, plus my own over steering/crazed driving scared me too. Gosh! what if I had caused an accident???

Steve...I hear ya! Yesterday, at the farm, a wasp got in the truck. It was unnerving...

Ashling said...

So glad all was okay. I totally understand and would have had the same reaction!

One Fly said...

Did you make him spit tobacco??

turquoisemoon said...

Ashling, I can't imagine anyone not reacting! It felt like something grabbed my leg.

Fly, No...I don't even think I squished him. In fact, I know I didn't squish him...hahaha

Introverted Art said...

THAT would have freaked me out!!!!

turquoisemoon said...

Ana, It did!!!

FOLKWAYS NOTEBOOK said...

Don't mean to make light of the incident but I bet that ole grasshopper was scared to death having never rode in a car before. He thought you were his savior -- maybe?

-- barbara

turquoisemoon said...

Barbara, That's why I didn't squish him! hahaha...

Arkansas Patti said...

A spider once made me an impaired driver. I do understand and believe.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, ewww...I think a spider would be much worse.