Saturday, June 23, 2012

Zoom at the Zoo







My granddaughter has been visiting with me for the last week. I got her a little camera, last year for Christmas, and she seems to really enjoy photography. Her pics really are different and pretty darn good.  We've been having fun taking little day trips in order to take some pictures and see some of the city. She's 11, but will be 12 next month, so we've also been going out to eat and still enjoying the under 12 prices.... :>
We went to the zoo (here she's watching the polar bears in the left window, the one with a wolf purse...hahaha)
She dropped her camera and it broke...she was heartbroken!
So, grandma got her an early birthday present...a Fujifilm XP20 and a damage protection plan.  :)
It's a pretty nice little point n shoot. Its got a little zoom and a little macro. Also waterproof...
She's in heaven now...very happy. This morning, we were off to the city market and she was all over the place snapping pictures.
They grow so fast...she's starting junior high this fall, so I'm enjoying this time she's spending with me...it won't be long before her time will be spent with friends instead of grandma.
And it won't be long before she wouldn't be caught dead with a fluffy wolf purse...
ommmmm

13 comments:

Jane said...

If these are your grandaughter's pics - I am impressed indeed! I love that hilarious bird and also the hippo - great composition. Isn't it a shame that we all have to eventually grow up and give up our wolf purses :(

turquoisemoon said...

Jane, No these are my pics. She broke her camera at the zoo. and...yes, it is a shame! (I secretly want a wolf purse)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Having a good hobby like photography could prove to be a safe haven for her during those difficult teenage years -- good for you, Grandma, for encouraging her and facilitating her interest!

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, She is extremely artistic and I'm hoping that she hooks up with kids with similar interests. Those teenage years are sooo difficult, so anything I can do to help is worth it. As they go into these stressful times, all we can do is be there, try to keep communication open and keep fingers xxx'd. Maybe that's not all we can do...but it's a start!

Rubye Jack said...

I wouldn't mind having a wolf purse either. At all. I'm with Debra in that hobbies such as photography are so good for teenagers. That's so cool you were able to buy her a new one right away. Yea grandma!

turquoisemoon said...

Rubye, If you had seen her face... I would have hawked something if need be. I hope she doesn't throw away that purse, as she grows up. It would be fun to keep as a reminder of her childhood days...

Jane said...

Ok... I see that I must learn to follow the story! You'll have to post a few of your granddaughter's pics sometime :)

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh I will...thanks Jane.

One Fly said...

These pictures are soooo good and that's a fact.

turquoisemoon said...

Thanks Fly!!! Like you said, you've got to take a lot to get any keepers. And, I took a lot...

Introverted Art said...

they are amazing! It is wonderful she has such a great interest in photography. It is a great activity to focus on, especially nowadays when kids are exposed to so much junk!

NitWit1 said...

How tender. Grandma and Granddaughter on a photo shoot. I am so glad you replaced her camera, and it wasn't a NIKON or CANON high priced that broke.

I have a little point and shoot Canon A1000 packed with features that does a pretty darn good job in a pinch.

turquoisemoon said...

Introverted Art, This has been so much fun. We have talked about the crazy junior/high school years. I hope our talks help her thru these coming times.

NitWit, No her camera was just a little cheapie. Just wanted to see if there was any interest. Her new camera is much better, but still not pricey and...ta daa...got her a damage protection plan.