Friday, June 22, 2012

Gus

This is Gus. I got him as a 2 yr old. Now this is a good boy!
My first horse, Dyno, (previous post) nearly killed me.
He could be really goofy.  He kept me in stitches...I loved him so!
Gus was my novice horse. This boy completely took care of me and taught me to ride.
I started showing quarter horses very late in life...dang, I was in my 40s the first time I ever got on a horse. I spent several years practicing...I had no natural talent.  For years, I ran with a crazy, fun loving bunch of women. I've never laughed so much, ever, in my life. We would compete all day, then poke fun of each other at dinner and on into the evening.  I showed him in under saddle, equitation, horsemanship and showmanship. I tried him in pleasure, once, but he was too fast. With that in mind, the next time the girls all went showing, I didn't go. Sat up cones in the arena and tried him at barrels. He penned his ears and  took off...soooo slow. A tad faster than a pleasure lope, but slooooow. I'm sure he thought he was racin.....
I have so many hilarious memories, from my horse showin days. I might mention here, that my trainer would holler at me with instructions... It always started with, "Dammit Lynn..."
I still answer to Dammit...
Here's what I learned...you're never too old to try something new.
And, it's never too late to do something you've always wanted to do.
Keep adding to your bucket list.
Girlfriends are the bestest...
The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man...or woman!
The last picture is of one of my horse showing buds at a show in SD. She was at least 15 years older than me and was my inspiration.



11 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Some of my favorite critters to talk to and enjoy

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Horse women are always feisty, independent women! That's been my observation, anyway. Gus looks like a real sweetie! Glad you found him after that devil Dyno.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve...the horses or the women??? hahaha...

Debra, I think dealing with 1000 to 1100 pounds lends itself to independence. My trainer drove an 18 wheeler, when hauling the horses. She would time herself on changing flats!!! hahaha...she's a corker!

Jane said...

I am so impressed that you'd never even got on a horse until your 40's and then started competing!! It's never too late and you've proven that and had a blast doing so. I'm enjoying life so much more with every passing decade - need to keep adding to my bucket list too. Thanks for the inspiration :)

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh Jane, It was probably the hardest thing I've ever done in my life, but I had wanted to learn to ride ever since childhood...but, life got in the way. It was also very cool that the AQHA (finally in 2001, I think) started a program for seniors, so we didn't have to compete against those young, skinny, talented, 20 year olds. It's called Select rather that Golden or Senior...luvd it!

Out on the prairie said...

Many a cowgirl has warmed my heart, but few have caught it.LOL

turquoisemoon said...

OOoooh Steve...har har har!!!

Lulu said...

Aw what beautiful creatures, it must be a joy to spend time with them xxx

turquoisemoon said...

Lulu, They are sooo beautiful and I think they smell so good! They soothe the soul... I checked out your blog and love it. You and your hubby had a beautiful wedding, btw!

Linda Starr said...

Dammit, you look smart up there as does the horse, I've given you an award on my blog post today. Ha.

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, Thank you for the Sunshine Award.