Monday, June 25, 2012

City Market

Saturday morning, granddaughter and I headed out for the KC Farmers Market. This is a picture of her taking a picture of flowers, with her new camera. Hahah...she's still carrying that silly wolf purse. Isn't that a hoot????
Wednesday, we went to the Overland Park Farmers Market. OP only allows flowers, fruit and veggies and the entertainment is provided by the city. It's ok, but very sterile, if you know what I mean.
The big market, in KC, allows everything, I think. Flowers, veggies, live animals, baked goods (yummy Mennonite stuff) honey, oils, meats, spices (in open containers) dog treats, all sorts of stuff.  Food is being cooked everywhere. Italian, here, Mexican over there and Middle East over here.The market not only feels alive, it smells alive...I love it!
Color is everywhere.
The pic below is of an umbrella covering a table. There are several of these scattered around so a person can sit and munch on whatever treat they've just purchased.
 The music at the KC market is provided by street musicians.
As we were walking into the market area, we could hear the sounds of drumming on buckets. The rhythms the man played, where did they come from???
People just show up, open their case (for donations) and start playing. The pic below was a man playing the guitar...best Mexican music I've heard in a long time. Oooh he was wonderful.
 This guy was grilling outside on the sidewalk. People were lined up for his food.
 There were several musicians, in fact several groups, but this man blew me away.
He never stopped, and I don't think his facial expression ever changed. He never looked at me and never seemed to notice when I dropped some money in his case...just kept playing his flute.
If you get a chance, click on this pic and look into his eyes...tell me what you see.
 This is what I'm talking about, when I describe the OP market as being sterile.
None of this would happen there...
Everything and everybody must be approved and licensed.
 Went early so it was still cool. It was so packed we had to park several blocks away and walk. The going, was downhill and being empty handed, except for my camera and veggie bag, was an easy walk. But geez...the uphill walk back to my car...I left the market with corn, tomatoes, strawberries, green beans, homemade pasta and a few tasty morsels of the Mennonite baked goods...yummmm...
I love the diversity!
ommmmm

10 comments:

Arkansas Patti said...

Wow, that is one amazing market. I'd love that.
Could he have been blind?

One Fly said...

I am hungry as hell and just as jealous. Being able to enlarge these photos by clicking on them brings everything to life. It really does. The way they are framed is important too.

?? How far away and did you crop at all before posting.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, This is a fun place to go. hmmm...he could have been??? But I tend to think he just was in his own place.

Fly, No cropping was done and haven't tried any photoshop with them either. Been too busy with granddaughter. Thank you for showing me how to enlarge on the blog.

Teresa Evangeline said...

Sounds like great fun. I Love her wolf purse and I think it's cool that she's using it and willing to do something outside the box.

What I see in his eyes is sadness. I'm projecting, but sadness for the world.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Now, THAT'S a good farmer's market! I love it when there's food, crafts, musicians -- the whole nine yards! I'm rarely there just for the veggies.

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa, She starts Junior High this fall...hope she stays "her own person". I see sadness too. For the world? or whatever? I found his eyes haunting.

Debra, It's a very cool market. I'm the same as you...rarely go just for veggies.

Jane said...

Sounds like a fantastic market! I like diversity too for the same reason - it makes everything come alive and draws in people from every walk of life. I think that gentleman playing the flute, kind of looks like he's mesmerized/hypnotized himself!

turquoisemoon said...

Jane, Hmmmm...never thought of that! Is that possible in music? That's a new concept for me. He still looks sad tho. I think that the more diversity a person embraces, the richer their lives become.

Introverted Art said...

I love this. I love the type of freedom these photos and the market are so inspiring.

turquoisemoon said...

Ana, Funny, the OP market was fine. We enjoyed ourselves, but when we went to the KC market...the difference was noted immediately. There was a freedom there and yes, it was inspiring.