Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Never Buy a Horse Named Dynamite

 My husband (late husband, for those new to my blog) and I were about the same age when the middle age crazies hit.
He bought a Harley, I bought a horse.
The kids were grown and had moved out of the house, when hubby and I took riding lessons.  I had never been around horses, but had always loved them. Didn't know a thing about them except that they're beautiful and smelled good.
Hubby flunked the riding class..so happens it was on the same night as KU basketball, so he'd go, but when he thought the class should be over, he simply got off the horse, unsaddled and headed home. We took separate cars, because I didn't want to miss a single minute of riding and the instructor let us ride and practice long after the class should have been over.
He decided that hogs were more his style and bought the above fat boy.
I went on a search for my first horse.
 NEVER buy a horse named Touch of Dynamite.
I fell in love with Dyno the minute I saw him...Huge! mistake!!!
I got thrown, ejected, tossed off, everyday, for the next two years. I really needed a tranquilizer, just to go to the stable, to ride, to relax...c r a z y! I knew, I'd end my day, eating arena dirt.
I lunged this horse, before I'd ride...just trying to wear him down. He only got stronger.
The final straw was when I finally got him into a fairly decent lope and he stumbled and fell with me. That was it, I couldn't have1100 lbs falling on me. I got up, told one of the trainers to sell him and help me find a new one. Went home, took my dirty clothes off in the garage (dirt was everywhere..nose, ears, hair, underclothes...) Took a shower and vowed never to ride that dang horse again!
He was sold within the week, and I got Gus...
Here's a picture of Dyno. 
My husband sold his Harley about the same time I got rid of Dyno...he never said anything, but I'm thinkin we both got thrown one too many times...
Ommmmm

12 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You did well to stick with Dyno for 2 years! Or perhaps both you and he were equally stubborn, LOL?

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, hahaha! no, I didn't "stick" with Dyno. If I had stuck to him, I wouldn't have come off. I still have shoulder problems from the time I got thrown into the arena wall. :(

Linda Starr said...

Was your horse a thoroughbred? Gary had one and he got thrown so many times I finally gave the horse away. As it turned out it was lame and UC Davis got him to try and fix his lameness.

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, No he was a registered quarter horse. He was vetted several times. It was probably me that was the problem...nevertheless, after two years, it was down to me or him.

Ashling said...

That's a great story...sounds like you each got 'it' out of your system at the same time. Glad you've since gone on to less....explosive...horses!

Jane said...

He was a beauty nonetheless :) You obviously made the right decision to replace him. Riding should be a pleasure, not something you have to fear and steel yourself against!

turquoisemoon said...

Ashling, I worked so hard with that horse. I loved that horse but it was a bad match.

Jane, I thought he was pretty nice, but by the end of that summer, I knew I was going to get hurt if a change wasn't made.

Introverted Art said...

I can't stop laughing. Sure, I am not happy you had dirt in your mouth (maybe), but I can see your hubby on his "wild ride" and conjure up the image of my friend: he bought a Harley, but at the light the thing fell to the side in front of everyone... he was too skinny and could not hold it!

Out on the prairie said...

Can't say which I would like better, both have a great appeal.

turquoisemoon said...

Ana, I can laugh too...now!

Steve, I'd take a horse any day over a Harley. Still think horses just smell good.

Linda said...

They call a horse like that rank...he just had too much wildness in him....Harley's are the same...LOL though the hubby did the driving and I enjoyed the ride...was going to get my license when the hubby got into an accident and totaled the bike...I changed my mind..no more bikes...My daughter had a beutiful horse for many years then we sold her to friends...she is very old now but still the sweetest thing...I miss her...what we did was buy her originally from friends so we knew what kind of horse she was...Horses are beautiful..no doubt....wouldn't mind having another someday...when I have nothing else to do...HAHA!!

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, VERY RANK!!!hahaha... I didn't like the Harley. Just never felt safe on it. Seen too many accidents. I'll take a horse any ole day.