Tuesday, June 12, 2012

The Mighty Huntress

Last evening, I was sitting outside, on my deck, talking on the phone with my sister. In the background, I heard a strange noise, but  my mind didn't focus on it. Then...the strangeness of that sound, broke into our conversation. I looked around for Sophie, my Cairn terror (oops terrier) and breathed a sigh of relief when I saw her safely in the backyard. Yet, the noise was coming from her direction, so I took a second look...OMG!!! she had a baby rabbit in her mouth. Then she put it down, it tried to hop away...she bounced around it some more, then it was back in her mouth. She was playing with it!!! Horror took over my body... Mid conversation, I yelled into the phone that I had to go, and started hollering at Sophie. She looked at me, but continued her playing. I ran into the yard after her. She dropped the little rabbit and reluctantly headed toward the house. 
The rabbit hopped, as fast as it could, toward the edge of the yard for cover. It was tiny, but alive. What kind of a stupid mother rabbit would pick my yard, to leave her babies???
This brings me to the real point of this post.
Col. Potter Cairn Rescue  (http://www.cairnrescue.com)
I follow this blog and also follow on facebook.
I am constantly amazed at the reasons people give up these little guys. Almost on a daily basis, a new Cairn is posted for adoption. CPCR describes the dog and tells their story. And oooh what sad stories they are. I am shocked and saddened when I read them.
There are "real" situations that result in surrender...death, illness, etc.
But mostly, I read of puppy mill rescues...and then there's the "they don't fit my lifestyle anymore."  I read of one incident, where the owners left their fur-baby (3 yrs old) at a kill shelter and told them to "put her down" as they were moving and didn't want to take the dog with them...the shelter called CPCR and a rescue was made.  Another, dropped off their little one because of this hunting instinct, like Sophie, their dog "hunted"... These 16 pound hunters were bred to hunt vermin in rocky areas...hence the word "cairn". My heart is soooo heavy after I read some of these. Can you imagine the fear these little ones go thru? the confusion? the loneliness? Ooooh...just looking into their eyes...
It isn't just Cairns, it's all breeds. People look at "getting a puppy" as simply ownership. Something you can throw away, if you tire of it...or it doesn't fit your lifestyle anymore. If you don't have time to train, then put it down. If it acts like a dog...rid yourself of it.
Breaks my heart...ommmmmmmm!!!



14 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

I can't even stand to think about this, but am glad you bring it up because people do need to understand they are "adopting" another little life, one that will become dependent on their love and care. I cannot imagine the self-centered attitude of people who have a dog for three years and then want to simply have it put down because they're moving. As far as I'm concerned these things should be crimes. Really. These dogs in kill shelters know what is happening and they say that they resist mightily going into that area. I get sick, actually physically sick at this sad fact. We should recognize the particular attributes of a breed before making a decision. We cannot expect dogs to be who we want them to be, but need to accept who they are, their instincts. Thanks for an important post.

I am glad the bunny is okay. Sophia probably thought she had a great little playmate. :)

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I hope they all find good homes! And I'm glad the baby bunny survived too. I agree -- if people aren't willing to make a lifetime commitment to their pet, they shouldn't have one.

Out on the prairie said...

Lots of responsibility with pets, many don't understand it until after getting a pet.

NitWit1 said...

I have a rescue MUTT and it is the best dog we ever chose. We were w/o a dog for 3 years after having to euthanize our 3rd German Shepherd.

I was wanting another smaller dog, not tiny but 30-40 lbs. My newspaper employed best friend called saying a photo pet of the week look a lot like a German Shepherd and only weighted 33#. WE went to Humane Society and looked at her and took her. She is now 13 and still spunky even though she has endured heartworms, erhlichiosis, kidney infections and is idiopathic epileptic (well controlled.

Yes whatever her mixed genes, she is a hunter, especially chipmunks and baby rabbits, she so graciously brings in the house to share with us! ..much to my dismay.

Jane said...

What an adorable picture of your baby :) It's very sad to think of what animals in general go through. Dogs are very sensitive creatures - we had to farm Emma out for two weeks recently at a friend's house (they also have a Morkie) and even though she was very well taken care of, it took her about a week to get back to her normal self - she was shell-shocked.

Arkansas Patti said...

It breaks my heart also. I spent 15 years in rescue work and there is just no understanding people's feeling that pets are a disposable item.
Nothing brings tears to my eyes quicker than the ASPCA commercial. Pets just don't understand why they are no longer loved.

Ashling said...

Amen! The stories my partner (who works at a shelter) hears make me want to thump people who are so self centered & cruel. Thanks for raising the issue, and for being a good 'mom', even to a huntress.

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa, Oooh!!! it just sickens me too. I've seen these scared little ones just shaking. It sickens me and upsets me. It wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if it was a considered a crime. Gosh...it is a crime!!

Debra, It is a lifelong commitment. They bring me sooo much joy. I can't imagine giving my fur baby up for anything.

Steve, It is a major commitment, and no...they are often bought on a whim or worst yet, given to someone as a gift??? Someone who may not even want one.

NitWit, Bless you, Bless you, Bless you!!! Ooh and Sophie brought me a bird, last week...ugh!!!

Patti, Ooh those ASPCA commercials have me crying like a baby. They're good tho. They've brought lots of attention to the problem. I remember reading, on your blog, about your rescue activities. Bless you too...

Ashling, I don't know how your partner can do it. ...and go ahead and thump them. I'll help pay any fees you might incur..or if I was near, I'd be glad to hold them down while you thump on them...hahaha

To You All...It's a real problem. I don't think I could ever work at a shelter, but, I send $$$'s and donate projects to Art Unleashed. It funds local shelters here in the KC area. I know each one of you are animal lovers. I've read your blogs... Bless all of you for your love, care, and sincere efforts to make this a better place for our animal babies. Ooh and, I guess, that means cats too! hahaha...

turquoisemoon said...

Jane, Your Emma is adorable. Isn't hard to go anywhere without our babies? I miss her so when we go away. Yes, they are so sensitive. And, I do think they know what's going on and it scares them. They're so trusting and loving...

Sandy Jorgensen said...

Glad the bunny got away! We found one half eaten stuck in the fence...gag. It is sad how people have treated their animals

Linda Starr said...

It is so sad and I am sure there are the people who don't want to give up their pets but must if they become homeless or some such. Thankfully the rabbit got away this time; your dog was doing his job for sure. It's a sad world indeed where folks think animals are disposable as I agree they really do have feelings.

turquoisemoon said...

Sandy, It is sad. I love the ASPCA commercials... I think they make people more aware.

Linda, There are "real" reasons folks must surrender their pets. But, to simply do so because they just don't fit your lifestyle, or because their puppy got too big (didn't they know that a lab puppy would grow to 70 pounds) just makes me sick...

Linda said...

I know what you mean...First of all puppy mills are barbaric, should be outlawed and the vermin that creates these places put in a "mill"...I have two type of terriers..My Maltese was breed to hunt on Malta...she hunts chipmunks constantly so far never caught one ...I am sick of people who take on animals & then when they do not fit into their "lifestyles" they get rid of them...no conscious at all ...or worse use them as a fashion accessory...animals know...they know...poor little things..

It is heart breaking I agree...Both my babies are rescued ...and they are the best little "kids" ever...

Glad the baby bunny is ok...:)

Beautiful & informative post... Thanks!!

XO

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh Linda, it just makes me sick too!!! I see puppy mills in Missouri, when I head down to Branson. Not as many as there used to be. I shudder when I think of those dogs and the horrid lives they must have. and...good for you rescuing two fur babies!!!