Thursday, June 14, 2012

Fast Food & Fast Cooking


I recently went on a very strict diet and lost..mmmm...sshhh nearly 30lbs.
The secret was simple...unprocessed food, low sodium (no canned food/no seasonings, except natural ones) portion control (all food was weighed), lots of water (no pop, even diet), no treats (except fresh fruit) and exercise.  And for sure...No fast foods, of any kind.  It was harsh...but the pounds melted off.
We all tend to blame fast food...well I'm thinkin it's fast food of any kind, and we tend to make our food fast...toasters, electric skillets, microwaves, friges, ovens, pantries, boxed foods...all the things we love and make our lives easier.
Last week, I visited Ft. Osage, built in 1808, ...visited their kitchen and got to thinking. Gee, if  I had to grow it, it took all day to cook it, cleaning up after I ate it was a major chore...I'd have to rethink my entire cooking/eating habits. And, for sure there'd be no boredom snacking...
Food, today, is very good...Oooh my, I have some recipes that are sooooo yummy, easy to make and very fattening. We all share our recipes. Pictures are posted that make our mouths drool.  All holidays are focused around the meal. Advertising shows us that if we eat this or at this restaurant we'll be happy??!!! 
Gee...serve carrots with no dip, at your next card party, and see who shows up for seconds???
Well no wonder there's a "growing" problem, no wonder that weight control is hard, no wonder I've put back on 5 pounds...
The point is...don't judge!!! Understand yourself, respect yourself, love yourself...no  matter what. That's what is important. The rest is just "icing on the cake".  hahaha! pun intended!
It's very, very hard to loose weight and I applaud all who are trying...  My heart goes out to all... If you're not trying, I understand that too...sometimes, I simply don't care.  Our society makes it easy to gain, then pokes fun when we do. I'm not offering this as an excuse...this is part of my understanding of my own situation.
Skinny or plump...I'm the same person. I have the same feelings, either way.
It's more important to love the person in the mirror, be gentle with that person and forgive that person.  
I will loose that 5...doing a quick fix of back to the basics.
ommmmmm

11 comments:

Jane said...

You are so right when you say that "society makes it easy to gain and then pokes fun when we do". Congratulations on your success - it's very hard to lose weight (harder as we get older) - unfortunately we are a culture of easy, fast, high-calorie food.

Ashling said...

Wow--good for you! I KNOW it's difficult, having had to do some major changes myself for health reasons, but mine wasn't nearly as challenging a regimen. I admire your fortitude, determination, and good attitude. Have yuo found--as I have--that now when you do eat something processed, it tastes nasty, and that sugar is, well, just TOO sweet? Amazing to discover how tainted our palates have become, how we keep needing more & more, and how easily we can change those palates to a more natural state. Anyway--wild applause & high fives toyou!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

30 lbs is a major accomplishment! Good for you! Have you heard of the "slow food" movement? It rejects all fast food in favour of traditional meals, prepared by hand. Promotes better health and better quality of life, they say. And it's great, provided you have the time to do it. I guess they'd say "Make time!"

One Fly said...

I'm not gonna touch this.

turquoisemoon said...

Jane, I will loose the 5. I learned some tricks, but...it's going to be hard to keep it off. Food is soooo good.

Ashling, Yep..processed food just doesn't taste very good anymore. I went on vacation and then took my granddaughter to Silver Dollar City...shoulda been called Carb City! Vacation dieting is tough...

Debra, hmmm...slow food movement??? I'll have to look that up. It also sounds kindof of meditative, like brewing tea??? I'll check that out. Thanks Debra!

Fly...smart man!!! I believe I remember you posting about biscuits and gravy??? and that was when I was eating lots of unseasoned raw veggies... :> Can't remember your last post, but that dag gum biscuits and gravy really stuck in my mind...

Rubye Jack said...

I've gotten to where I feel good when I'm making my dinner. The other day I was traveling down the freeway and stopped to grab a hamburger at McDonald's. I really could not eat it. It was so gawd awful!

My favorite meal nowadays is brown rice and broccoli.

turquoisemoon said...

Rubye, I just love a mixed lettuce salad with fruit in it. It's so refreshing... Took grandkid to Silver Dollar City and everything was fried or sugar coated. I should loose this 5 in about 10 days as long as there's no holidays involved. Just gotta constantly be aware of what I'm eating.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

congratulations on the weight loss. I find I do better saying I'm trying to eat better than trying to diet..

turquoisemoon said...

Yellowdog, What I did was a flippin diet...ugh!!! Now, I can say I'm eating healthy.. :)

Arkansas Patti said...

You go girl. Congrats big time. That is a chunk you melted off. I'll bet you feel so much better now. Losing for health is the best incentive.

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh thanks, Patti. I sure isn't easy or fun.