Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Luv NM Art

 Madrid, NM
The entire town is alive with art!
This is not a Crate and Barrel community. Every store/gallery is unique. 
There are fiber artists, carvers, painters, jewelers, sculptors, antiques, potters...the list goes on and on.
Each, with their own style, etching out a livelihood. A life of art...
A cholla cactus, tied into a cross with beads of turquoise added...wowza!
Leather...worked into the form of a woman, adding bits of fiber here and there for accent...such talent!
 We found this artist in a small town on the High Road to Taos.
These temple bells rang with such a sound...deep, clear and beautiful.
I think? I rang all of them.
 He worked in a workshop right outside his home,  guarded by his dog, a ferocious looking animal that just wanted to be petted.  Every piece was created out of something else...recycled fire extinguishers.
Each had a unique sound.
This piece was simply amazing... but, then, every piece was amazing!
 This artist was found in a small town in Kansas...believe it or not. All of his art is created from "found objects".  He was quite a colorful character!!! 82 years young and still hard at it. His work was not only art, but political statements.
 Every piece was a story.
One entire fence line represented the women of his life...oooh my!  He explained some of the pieces and some, he just gazed upon them with love. Needless to say, they weren't for sale.
His studio was filled with metal pieces, such as discs, cups, and and all sorts of miscellaneous rusted things.You had to watch every step you took for fear of tripping. He walked the area with ease...

We have art in my area...it's just so different! Sometimes, I really do feel that I live in a Croft and Barrel community and have to go outside my immediate area to find the unique. I know there are many gifted artists in the KC area, but do feel that $$$'s rule. And, I might just add that the mid west is quite conservative and the sound of a temple bell, ringing in my neighborhood, might upset someone. Or, a 10 ft totem of a long lost lover just might offend the young mother down the street. A cholla cross doesn't go with all home decor. So I guess, I might be a tad judgmental. But I hit the craft shows and have noticed that if one creates something that sells, the next year there will be tent after tent of similar items. Wreaths, popular years ago, are still being made and sold...and just how many sunflowers can one person own??? I've been to First Friday's and find most of the pieces lacking in soul...do you know what I mean?? I've been to the Plaza Art Festival...here the pieces are simply not affordable and...the artists come in from around the country. Ok...starting to rant...
Again...I know that there are incredible artists in KC...don't get me wrong, but to go somewhere where there is place after place after place of color, of unique, it just boggles my mind and senses...
and...I didn't even talk about Canyon Road...

13 comments:

Linda Starr said...

Oh you lucky duck to be traveling there, we visited Madrid before it became an art community and it was just a ghost town. I love the southwest.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like the NM artists are as colourful and unique as their creations! I love little stores and studios like that.

Rubye Jack said...

Oh gosh, I would so much love to have some temple bells to ring every morning. The neighbors they would indeed talk!

clairz said...

I love these photos! You remind me that New Mexico, while it is many things, is NOT conservative. No one minds a wild colored painted wall, or some crazy yard art. I just had forgotten that there are places where people are judgmental. Well, I've said it before--time for you to head on back down here!

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, I know you love the SW & I know you "live" art! I have that beautiful necklace you sent me and treasure it!
Debra, NM is full of the unique and I love it too. You should see the clothing and jewelry. It sure ain't J.C. Pennys...
Rubye, You would love the sounds those bells made, very soothing... BTW, I do have a 6 ft. totem pole on my deck. hahaha! but, it's very quiet.
Clairz, I just got back!!! That's why I'm still in the NM zone! Oooh..I would be in sooo much trouble, with the home association, if I painted some wild color on a wall or added certain yard art.

Out on the prairie said...

so fun to meet all these people

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, Yes it is! Makes the trip.

Arkansas Patti said...

What facinating and unique artists. Those temple bells do appeal to me.

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh Patti, those bells were amazing.

NitWit1 said...

I have been in southern NM and would love to see the area you were in. I am a bit eccentric, so no one would think much if I had a totem pole in my yard, but husband would put my head between the gongs as he hates all things the hit each other and supposedly arfe declared musical.

turquoisemoon said...

NitWit, It's incredible! There's so much to see. The food, the art...and the mysteries (my next post)

Linda Myers said...

I bought art in Sedona and Santa Fe that reminds me of those places every time I look at them. On our recent road trip to Tennessee and Kentucky, I didn't find a single thing to bring home. Is it just regional, then?

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, I'm the same way. Last fall, I went to Tennessee and couldn't find anything either. When this happens, I usually pick up a magnet for my frig as a souvenir.