Sunday, May 27, 2012

A Green Memorial Day

Spring flowers are now gone, at the Arboretum, and have gone back into the earth.
Summer flowers will soon make their appearance...but, for now, only the green remains.
The morning was just starting to heat up. The start of another humid day in Kansas, and my mind drifted (as usual) to the early settlers. I thought about venturing into this green area to find food...without bug spray.
I thought about these things as I was getting back into my air conditioned car, to head back home at 45/50mph, to a cool/warm shower.
I'm thinkin that this Memorial Day, I'll not only remember and honor those relatives, soldiers, etc., but all the unknown souls that have gone before...

5 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Now THOSE people were tough!

Arkansas Patti said...

I think those thoughts also and always do a little "thank you" when I enter my climate controlled home whether it is hot or really cold outside. We are so lucky.
It is the day to remember those who gave all.
Loved the cool green look.

Jane said...

It's difficult to envision the hardships early settlers faced. Beautiful pics :)

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, Yes they were. They were so brave...

Patti, Ooh I do too. I feel extremely lucky... There are so many that have laid the foundation for our freedom and our relative ease.

Jane, I often read history books and historical fictions and the hardships are very hard to imagine. Sometimes I wonder if I would have survived. I like to think I would, but???

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

I can't even begin to imagine how they suffered to just survive.