Monday, May 7, 2012

Gained 2 1/2 Pounds in New Mexico

I just got back from New Mexico and finally weighed in...only a 2 1/2 pound gain. 
I'm back on my diet, needless to say...
What is it about NM food that is so wonderful???
I'm thinkin it is the use of Hatch Chilies...
No...that can't be all of it, but I think it is part of it. I buy my hatch chilies, in the fall, from Whole Foods. They roast them, so all that's left for me to do, is to seed and skin them. I then chop them up and freeze them.  When added to chili, enchiladas, eggs, etc...I can actually taste NM.
But, gosh...they don't add chilies to sopapillas??? They don't add chilies to the rice or beans...so what is it???  I have tons cookbooks, but still haven't figured out what the secret is.
















All I do know, is that it's goooood.....!!! Downright yummmy!
Going to New Mexico is a breath of fresh air to me. I come home with a desire to create... I want to cook with reckless abandon. I want to paint something turquoise. I want to wear clothes that express me, not what's simply in style. I want to read books that inspire, rather than entertain. I want to make art. I want to figure out the mysteries of Chaco Canyon.
It's like I wake up in NM...
Ommmmm.....

14 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Nice tastes run through your writing. I cook a lot of this, two spices I like to use are cumin and coriander.I roast peppers on the grill and put them in a bag for 20 min. to steam before peeling.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, You know, I've added cumin, but not coriander...hmmmm??? I can do a pretty dag gum good rice, but something is always missing when I cook beans. I learned the "secrets" of rice and there are, for sure, secrets. So, I know there must be other "secrets" that I'm unaware. Green chili...yummy!...pork is used. Have you ever made that??? ...and do you use hatch chilies???

Linda said...

OMG it sounds like you had a fantastic time...and only a couple of lbs gain...you rock girl!! and turquoise a color I could indulge in anytime...Glad you had such a good time...But I am glad your back!!! :)

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, I always have a great time in NM. It's soooo different from KC! and viva differences.

Rubye Jack said...

Lard.

2 1/2 pounds -- not bad at all!
New Mexico is such a special place. I still think about moving there.

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh Rubye, it is special...in so many ways. I often think about moving there too, but know I won't. Grand babies, ya know... But, to go there once in awhile is so inspirational on so many levels.

Arkansas Patti said...

Goodness, think I need to make a trip there. Rejuvination sounds great. Only a couple pounds on a trip is doing good.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, I must say that I was surprised that I hadn't gained more. I did stick to protein stuff for breakfast, a protein drink for most of the lunches, stayed away from snacks (other than fruit)...but, I did pig out at dinner. We hiked quite a bit when we went to Tent Rock and Chaco Canyon. I feel like going there is such a change from KC. Much needed...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Wow, New Mexico clearly speaks to your soul!

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, Yes it does. But so does RMNP! They're so different, but they both have the ability to speak to me.

clairz said...

When I lived in New Hampshire and first vacationed in New Mexico, I went back home and planted orange and pink flowers next to each other. It was just a little thing, but those flowers always reminded me of the heat and the smells and the skies and the crazy colors of New Mexico, all mixed up.

We used to get our chiles air freighted from NM to NH and we roasted them on the grill out on the deck and stored them away in the freezer, just like you do.

Now that we live here in wonderful New Mexico, we can drive right over to Hatch for the chile harvest. We love our chiles and our skies and the view of the mountains from our patio.

You really should come on back, you know.

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh Clairz...You know how I feel! The mixture of cultures and religions is also refreshing. Did I mention the art??? I took nearly 300 pictures...eek...!!! I've got more posts coming, needless to say.

Manzanita said...

You sent little shivers of inspiration through me as your wrote about your creative desires. I feel that right now, too. New projects make us glow.

turquoisemoon said...

Manz, Your greenhouse has me green with envy. It's going to be wonderful...can't wait to see more pics!