Friday, May 11, 2012

Mysteries of NM

A good mystery always grabs my imagination.
Welcome to the mystery of Chaco Canyon.
It is probably the only site constructed in an elaborate pattern that mirrors the yearly cycle of the sun and 19 year cycle of the moon.
Why did these ancestors of today's Pueblo Indians choose to build this place (possibly a cultural center, a trading center or maybe religious center...the purpose is unknown) in the middle of a barren land?
Why, after constructing buildings the size of the Roman Coliseum, did these people deliberately seal them up and leave?
Stones and trees were transported from over 45 miles away without the use of beasts of burden.
From about AD 900 to 1150, it was a major gathering place.
There are 37 kivas in Pueblo Bonito alone. A kiva is normally used as a sacred ceremonial place.
Welcome to El Santuario de Chimayo
The dirt found at the room known as the pocito (well) is considered holy because in this spot the crucifix of Our Lord of Esquipulas was found by Bernardo Abeya in 1810.
This is a place of miraculous healings.
A museum has been established containing crutches and other items documenting these healings.
I took my brother there, when he had a brain tumor. The tumor was non-malignant.
Loretta Chapel
Built in the 1870's, the nuns needed stairs to the choir loft. The sisters made a Novena to their patron saint, Saint Joseph the Carpenter. On the final day a mysterious carpenter arrived to design and construct a circular staircase. His only tools were a saw, a carpenter's square, a hammer and tubs in which to soak the wood. There are no nails and no visible means of support.
When he finished, he simply left...without payment.

The final mystery is...Who in the heck painted graffiti on the only sign (from Gallup) to Chaco Canyon???
This cost me almost an extra 4/5 hours of driving... 
Ended up having to come in from the north, from Farmington...
HUMPF!!!
ommmmmm

12 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a beautiful site! I'd love to visit it some day. And the story about the circular staircase gave me goose bumps!

turquoisemoon said...

Chaco Canyon was amazing and huge. We hiked around the place all day, but could spend much more time there. I'm sure there are mysteries around the KC area and also miracles...It's just that, around here, they're not embraced. More like kind of cynical attitude...

Arkansas Patti said...

I am glad you explained about the rocks. I was wondering.
That staircase is amazing.

turquoisemoon said...

Chaco has even more mysteries than I wrote about here. Recently watched a PBS special by Robert Redford (sigh)...and he spoke of things like roads, heading perfectly north/south & east/west thru mountainous areas. The equinox sun shines thru the windows and marks calendar type things on the walls. Why did they leave? was also questioned. Oooh and the wood used in the staircase is not from around Santa Fe... unbelievable!!!

Linda Starr said...

I saw that PBS special too, what a great place, staircase is cool too

Introverted Art said...

These are absolutely gorgeous!!! I would like to visit NM one day. Gotta add that to the bucket list.

turquoisemoon said...

Introverted...it's a beautiful place. I have so many wonderful pics, it's hard to choose.

Linda, I love PBS!!! then there was Robert ! Yummmmmm.... hahaha

Manzanita said...

You said it, who doesn't love a mystery? I really am attracted to old ruins. You can let your mine run with it and think of the people who once lived there.

I bet you tried sliding down that circular staircase. :) good thing there are no nails in it. Ha

turquoisemoon said...

Manzanita, Don't you just wonder??? What was it used for? Why did they leave? Why was it there, in that canyon? How did they feed possible 3000? Where did they even cook? What about shards??? geez...

clairz said...

I hope you get a chance to go to the Pecos National Monument. It has the spookiest feel to the place, something I have never experienced anywhere else. A lot has happened there, it has a fascinating history.

Have you ever read anything by Craig Childs? I started with Secret Knowledge of Water, and went on to House of Rain, and Finders Keepers; a Tale of Archaeological Plunder and Obsession--all wonderful books about the southwest. I was lucky enough to hear him speak recently in Las Cruces. I just have a feeling that you would enjoy his books.

turquoisemoon said...

Clairz, I've never been there. I'll have to check it out! I'll also check out Craig Childs. I tend to read anything, I can, about the southwest. Thanks!!!

Teresa Evangeline said...

TM, I'm so glad you got to go to NM and get a solid fix of all things NM. It looks like you had a splendid time. So much to see and do.