Wednesday, February 15, 2012

A Tropical Planter


I went with tropical plants.
The terrarium is designed to keep the humidity in. I could have done cactus, but the lid would have to be off most of the time.
I put a large piece of wood in the background, then built up the dirt behind it.
Added some rocks and angled them in different directions, hoping that would give it a more natural look.
I also added one small mushroom miniature. Just one... toward the front and slightly tilted.


In this picture, you can see that the Buddha is holding a bowl. I've got some of those battery operated, fake little vigil lights. It fits perfectly in the bowl. It is awesome when it's a little cloudy outside. (like this morning) I turned on the little light, and oooh...what a serene sight it was.


This is when the top is on.

Even tho it's not southwest, it seems to fit in just fine.
When I was meditating, this morning, I found myself looking at it...and enjoying it.
Not the purpose of meditation, but this was just the first day.
ommmm...

13 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

FINE. Reject my idea of fake silk plants. But I must admit YOUR WAY looks beautiful too. Love the Buddha with the tea-light in his begging bowl. I have an illuminated Buddha plugged intp my car's cigarette lighter. He glows blue. Hmmm, I should do a post about him.

Arkansas Patti said...

I love what you have done. I have always loved terrariums. I have an hexagon fish tank I am thinking of converting. Now I am inspired. Thanks.

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh Debra...do post about your illuminated Buddha. Blue??? You always have the funniest posts. BTW...if the plants don't grow, I'll do it YOUR WAY..hahaha

Patty, Do it!!! It was such a fun project. The nursery had so many ideas and they used anything made of glass. I googled terrariums, before I started, and you should see all the beautiful converted fish tanks. Most of them were for reptiles, but <> you can omit anything that crawls, as I did.

Ashling said...

That's beautiful! And a great meditation focal point, even if that wasn't your intention...

turquoisemoon said...

Ashling, It turned out much better than I expected. The plants are so beautiful. I love all my cacti, but this added something different to the room.

Out on the prairie said...

Haven't done these for years,looks real fu

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh Steve, it's the latest thing at the nurseries around KC. I can remember making one for my mom years and years ago... Funny how things come around.

Jane said...

It turned out absolutely gorgeous! I can almost smell the lovely moist soil from here and I'm totally jealous :) The Buddha rocks.

rosaria said...

Inspirational! I think I'll find myself a bowl, a few plants and set up a terrarium for my cloudy days!

p.s. thanks for your visit.

turquoisemoon said...

Jane, oooh the dirt smells so good. I crave dirt, especially this time of year. The weather's been so beautiful..."teaser"...

Rosaria, Do it!!! you'll love it!!! A breath of fresh air, when you really can't get outside. aaahh, nature!!!

Kittie Howard said...

Yes, very serene...I couldn't resist looking while meditating either. I have a Buddha on the dresser in the bedroom. Every morning, I pause in front of it.

Linda Starr said...

Oh that is so serene, I want one especially with the buddha in there. I too want to see the illuminated buddha.

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, We need to bug Debra for that post!

Kittie, Very serene... I have several Buddhas around my house and each one causes me to pause.