Saturday, February 25, 2012

Shards


As a mosaic artist, I look at pottery, glassware, dishes, mugs, glass and mirror differently than most people...I envision them broken. I get excited over a piece of broken pottery...just thinkin about what I can make from it. I start thinking of just how I can work it into a project that I'm designing.
I don't hunt animals...I hunt pieces of stuff!!
Linda, the blogger known as Blue Starr Gallery, offered to send me some of her broken shards...OMG!!! I got the package yesterday and to my delight was 3 bags of broken bits and pieces of her beautiful work. She is an incredible artist and shares her craft on her blog along with fun, delicious recipes and tidbits of her life. It's a fun blog to follow...please check it out if you get a chance. She also has an Etsy store, BlueStarrGallery, be sure to check that out...beautiful pottery!!! Her work can also be seen in several galleries in Florida.
Anyway, when I opened the box, there was a padded envelope enclosed. I assumed it was the bill to cover shipping all the shards...but nope!!! it was the necklace pictured below.


This was such a surprise and I am soooo delighted to have received a piece of her artwork. My picture simply doesn't do it justice... I am simply thrilled and will wear it often. Needless to say, that when I wear this, I will always think of my wonderful cyber friend. In fact, I think it will be a reminder of all my cyber friends... It seems that we've all become so close. We hurrah for each others successes and cry for their losses. We miss them when they don't post, in awhile, and understand when they don't... I love their rants and their raves. The stories are downright funny and sometimes sad. They have adventures or become bored. They post pictures of family, pets, art, places, or things that are just wonderful to look at. The different interests intrigue me and force me to stretch and learn.
Thank you to Linda!!!
...and thank you to all my new friends!!!

15 comments:

Ashling said...

Never considered that one person's "oh no!" as a plate plummets to the floor could be another's treasure. How cool to have a whole different perspective on broken things.

Gorgeous pendant...just such exquisite work. Will be wandering over to the blog shortly!

turquoisemoon said...

The pendant is simply beautiful and I will, for sure, treasure it.

One Fly said...

Very nice Tmoon!

Linda Starr said...

Thanks your blog has been an inspiration to me, enjoy. I need to do more random acts of kindness because they make me smile and take away the pain of, well I'm trying not to go there.

Arkansas Patti said...

I do follow Linda and was so pleased to learn her rejects could be so useful. When she wrote she was smashing rejects for a friend to use, I did not know it was you. Small World. Great recycle.
I am fortunate to have a piece of her work that a friend won for me in a give away.
That is a cool pendant and so "you."
Totally agree on the delight of blog friends.

turquoisemoon said...

Fly...isn't it funny how much we enjoy our blogger friends?

Patti, I didn't realize it was for me either??!!! What a fun surprise!!

Linda, I love following your posts. I don't always respond in a comment, because sometimes my comments are just a mirror to what has already been said...but, I always follow. I've tried some of your dishes and yummmm is all I've got to say about them. I am delighted to have a piece of your artwork! and can't thank you enough!

Jane said...

How cool that you can give these broken shards new life! I love your pendant and I expect you'll wear it often. Also have to mention how adorable Sophie is - I had to laugh at Cairn Terror - I have a Morkie and have called her my little terrorist a few times - she's so demanding!!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

You need to find Greek friends who smash plates to celebrate their big occasions -- OPA! You'd be in shard heaven!

turquoisemoon said...

Jane, Sophie is the most independent, demanding, and the smartest dog I've ever had. She's a hoot!!! I've seen pics of your little morkie...absolutely adorable!!!

Debra, You are so daggum funny!!! Still waiting for your lighted green Buddha blog!!!

Linda said...

What a beautiful gift... and I love the leaf design...I have a bag of broken plates that I have kept to make something with...I always like to try something at least once.... especially when it is a plate from a family dish set... Time to look around I guess...:)

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, When you get ready to start your project, let me know and I'll give you some tips to make it easier. Give it a whirl...!!! you won't break anything!! hahaha ... I'm so flippin funny...

Tracy said...

what a lovely pendant...I know you will wear it proudly!

Kate said...

You are welcome! I think that it is our pleasure, getting to know you. Your gift is certainly lovely and one to be treasured!

Arkansas Patti said...

Thank you so much for stopping by with your caring words. It means so much.

Randy said...

Using those broken plates is very Green of you. I love it.