Monday, February 13, 2012

Decision Time


This terrarium is my latest find. I've got spring fever and think this might be a temporary fix.
I've cleaned it up and added rocks, charcoal, and a layer of sphagnum moss.
Here's my dilemma.
Dirt!
If I use potting soil...then the plants need to be tropical.
If I use cactus soil...then I will use succulents.
oooh what to do????
My house is southwest, so cactus is a natural...but that tends to defeat the purpose of the terrarium. Once I put the lid on, the humidity will build up and will kill all the cacti planted.


Here's some of the stuff I'm thinking about adding.
I've got all sorts of teeny cute stuff if I make it a cactus garden. Tiny kachina's, dreamcatchers, pottery, storytellers, etc.
If I go tropical, then I could make it a fairy garden or I could go more zen or I could go with crystals and the circle of friends. (that might be fun...the candle is a light, not really a candle, so it could be lit) Ohh, but wait...with that little candle, I could make a little campfire if I go with the cactus...hmmm or ommmm...

11 comments:

Ashling said...

Well,if you live in the southwest, maybe invoking the climate of a different part of the world will give you lessons and fodder for meditation, and spark a different inspiration. On teh other hand, cacti & a campfire sound pretty cool! Can't wait to see it when it's done!

turquoisemoon said...

I live in the KC area, but think you may be right about adding something different.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I suppose fake silk plants would be out of the question, LOL? That's the lazy-ass route I'd go. Because the plants are really just backdrop for all the cute wee stuff you want to put in there with them, aren't they?

turquoisemoon said...

EEEK...silk flowers!!! in a terrarium??? You bet...I love teeny, wee thingies! I've got all sorts of things in my other plants. Grand babies love the surprises they find in around the plants.

Out on the prairie said...

There are so many minatures to try I would trade off with both ideas.

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Steve, I tried to post a comment on your blog this morning... No luck. Loved your pics of the train. Anyway, decided to do a Buddha scene and to do it very simply with lots of plants.

Jane said...

Oh, I can imagine the fun you'll have working on this - a great spring project. I was thinking of making a mini-garden myself (I posted re this the other day) - I've been keeping my eyes open for the right props. I love miniature-worlds :)

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh Jane, I've got spring fever so bad. I decided to go with the Buddha on this one. I've got another planter that I decided to work up with cactus and add my Indian miniatures. In the spring I plant the top of a bird bath with herbs and my fairy house/stuff. Fun!!!

Manzanita said...

Oh god, spring fever already.... we still have 3 more months of winter..Don't even tell me.
I love my cactus.... never water them. I can forgo the teenies.
Happy Valentines Day

turquoisemoon said...

Manz...yes, spring fever is running rampant at my house. I visit a local nursery and just roam around and smell the dirt.

Kate said...

Isn't planning fun, esp. when you're open to different effects!