Sunday, January 15, 2012

Highlight the word "Sometimes"

While pondering "life" this morning, I thought of this quote...

"Never forget that everything Hitler did in Germany was legal." - Martin Luther King Jr.

My first thought was that this was simple. One's morals, ethics and values should rule. We should view laws/actions following our own code. Well that started me thinking of Pastor Phelps and his followers. (Westboro hate activists) My thoughts went from easy to...oooh my...how can we ever live in peace with so much intolerance, justified by laws, religion, politics, etc... ???
A difficult question indeed!!!
This quote, by the Buddha, helped my heavy heart...

"Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything simply because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders. Do not believe in traditions because they have been handed down for many generations. But after observation and analysis, when you find that anything agrees with reason and is conducive to the good and benefit of one and all, then accept it and live up to it." - Buddha

The part that most forget, when learning teachings, is the part about "conducive to the good and benefit of one and all".... Not just conducive to me, not just conducive to you, not just my friends, coworkers, relatives, race, sexual orientation...but all...

I'm a firm believer that "Silence is sometimes the best answer" - Dalai Lama
But "sometimes" should be highlighted. Silence is often taken as approval, or in agreement...

"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that really matter."... another beautiful quote by Martin Luther King.
"Love is the only force capable of transforming an enemy into a friend."
Thank you Dr. King





8 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

As always, this is so timely, and not just because it's Dr. King's birthday, but because I have been torn between speaking out and remaining silent, in quiet prayer, if you will. I will continue to listen, stay peaceful and wait for guidance. Thank you for posting this today.

Linda said...

Excellent post on Dr King and his words...I have the last quote posted on my blog...It is my favorite...and I agree silence can sometimes be taken as agreement when it is not...whether on a national level or personal level...I am learning when I should speak out and when not to...hard to learn...Love your blog BTW...

Linda :)

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa, Peaceful is sometimes the hardest part.
Linda, I am learning too. Mostly, I just simply say that I don't agree. I've learned that I don't have to state my case or defend my position to disagree.

Rubye Jack said...

Isn't it amazing how easily some people believe simply because they heard it elsewhere? For me, I rely greatly on common sense and listening. This is a nice Buddha quote TM.

turquoisemoon said...

Rubye Jack, Or, see it on TV.

One Fly said...

It was said so it must be true. That is our media and our society.

I enjoyed this tmoon.

turquoisemoon said...

Hey Fly, You still camping??? That quote is our history too!

One Fly said...

I am home but don't have much to say I guess. It's always like that when I get back from trips.