Wednesday, December 21, 2011

A Christmas Tail


When I got Sophie, 11 years ago, she was oooh...about 6-8 weeks old. The people I bought her from, sent us home with a woolie "baby" that carried the scent of her mom. She plays with her baby, hides her baby, fetches her baby, carries her baby around...she loves her baby.
Every Christmas, she gets a new baby...and the old baby is then weaned. I have 10 in a closet that no longer receive attention.
On Christmas morning, when everyone else is opening presents, she too opens hers. She is just as excited as any of the grandchildren.It's the same routine every Christmas...the tree goes up, presents are bought and left in a back bedroom, in the shopping bags, awaiting wrapping. The back bedroom holds a mound of unwrapped presents, it's also the room the computer is in. So lately, while on the puter, I noted that Sophie has been sniffing/snooping around that mound.

Monday night, BF and I sat in the living room, watching TV after supper, and Sophie wasn't in her normal spot (BF's lap) but we really weren't paying any particular attention to her.
She suddenly appeared...she had found her new baby in that sea/mound of unwrapped presents and slyly brought it for us to see. She has been snooping...apparently going thru all the sacks, till she found her Christmas baby. She acted shy and unsure if she was going to get in any trouble...but she wanted her new baby. Once I told her it was OK...her tail wagged and she bounced around while I cut off the tags. I gave her baby a squeak and a toss and she happily ran after it.
Now I ask you, how do you measure an animals intelligence? How do measure an animals capacity for love? How do you measure their loyalty, pain, fear...???
If you think they're "just animals"...I'll tell you a story of an elephants sorrow and grief, or one of a dog that remains by a grave for years, or one that puts himself in harms way to protect.
I think we tend to measure their intelligence by what we know...not by what they know...
Merry Christmas from Sophie and me...

22 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

This is beyond cool and beautiful. What a sweetie-pie. Buddy has his babies, too, and they play a significant role in his life. I love that she found hers and brought it with a bit of trepidation and that she was rewarded with even more love! Thank you for a Christmas story I can wrap my heart around.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sophie, you clever girl! And you're so right about the intelligence of animals -- sometimes it seems like their brains, hearts and souls are so much bigger than ours!

Linda Myers said...

What a lovely story!

Rubye Jack said...

This is so cool! What a sweetheart Sophie is; particularly in the way she asks for your permission. She looks so precious unwrapping her present along with the kids.

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa, Buddy is such a beautiful boy and I know he is a great companion. They bring us such joy!

Debra, We sure could learn from these precious babies. Sophie is such a character...

Linda, Thank you...this little girl has brought so much into my life.

Rubye J, She loves her presents!!! Loves them! She really thinks that she is one of the kids...I suppose is really is.

Arkansas Patti said...

You are preaching to the choir here. What a sweetie not to just rip it open. Better manners than most kids and a few adults:))

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, yes...I know how much you love animals!!! Aren't they a delight??? I've had many dogs and loved them all, but I swear...she is the smartest and most well behaved. Simply, a good girl and I love her so much.

Out on the prairie said...

I showed a string og toys mine gets out , but bought another for Christmas the other day. I laughed at myself for doing this.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, We sure do spoil them, don't we??? Hey, how heavy is your kayak??? Do you put it on top of your car?

Out on the prairie said...

They make racks to put the kayak on top of the car, I have a van that i strap mine to the top.The racks look easier, and I should indulge in one, mine weighs about 35 pounds.

You asked about the camera.I think each has its merit, I shoot all Sony for years. I like good macro and zoom so I can get closeups of birds and other critters.The Sony i was talking about was voted camera of the year by a photography mag 2 years in a row.Hints tend to point at that as a gift.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, Hmmm...your pics are wonderful. I sure hope my Canon does the trick. The reviews were great. I've already got it, but haven't had the time to work with it yet.
My new kayak weighs over 70lbs, so I may just have to find myself a light weight trailer.

clairz said...

How sweet! One of our pups has a sock monkey, which she tenderly carries around with her.

turquoisemoon said...

Clairz, Thank you for dropping by. They love their babies and other toys. It's like they seem to know that "this" special thing, is theirs. Who knows for sure??? But I do know how much joy my little girl brings to my life.

Jane said...

Hi, I'm your newest follower :) Your Sophie is a darling!! Our Morkie Emma also just seems to 'know' when something new is for her.

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Jane, and welcome. I'll have to check out your blog and meet your Emma.

Linda Starr said...

What a wonderful christmas story and what a wonderful companion in Sophie you have, so sweet and smart. Gary has a sweatshirt with a hood and the cord came out of the hood several months ago, my little Betty carries that cord around every where she goes, luckily the cord is fluorescent green so we can find it easily. I agree animals are much smarter than most realize and they have different ways of knowing and feeling things. Happy holidays to you and yours.

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, Happy holidays right back at cha!!! I sure enjoy following your blog. Will let you know how the fish turn out.

ain't for city gals said...

What a cute story...reminds me of when our Molliedog was little my sis-in-law would send her a milkbone every time she sent us a package. Now whenever we get a package for anyone we have to sneak a milkbone in it before we open it...how silly, yes? Btw..anyone who lists The Powere of Now and A New Earth as two of their fav books would have to be a frien of mine..

turquoisemoon said...

Oooh your Molliedog sounds so cute!!! Yes, silly, but who cares??? I'd do the same... :) We just love them!

Diane AZ said...

What a sweet story! You picked out the perfect gift for Sophie. :)

Scott said...

oh my goodness, what a sweetie and a great story...it brought tears to my eyes. Out of curiosity, why do you keep all her past babies? You give that little one an extra squeeze this morning...

Linda in New Mexico said...

Thanks for coming by Ye Olde Crone's and leaving a very profound comment. After reading some of your posts, I'd say we have several things in common....but this post is so adorable. It is what we know about our fur babies and nature's handiwork that make life worth living. Great little snope.
I hope you have a great start to the new year and that we chat again. I'd like that. Oma Linda