Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Craftsmen's Fair

I did almost all the driving on our Colorado trip.
I finally let BF drive when we were firmly planted on I-70 and on our way home. He, bless his heart, is a farmer and drives like one...very slowly...
Two days after getting home from our whirlwind trip thru Colorado, I headed out again for Gatlinburg, Tn. BF's X had invited me to her place for the Craftsmen's Fair. I haven't visited the eastern states. Hiking/camping RMNP has been a major part of my life. So, with two days to unpack, repack, do laundry, start my first class on Tibetan art, etc. I headed out again.
I left at 5 am, extremely tired, and headed East.
The very worst was St. Louis traffic...both going and coming home. I made it thru before rush hour...ha!!! It was still awful! After St. Louis, I became very sleepy, so I made numerous stops, ate, drove with the windows down, sang, chanted...did whatever to stay awake.
I must say, it was simply beautiful in Gatlinburg. No, not the Rocky's...but a different kind of beauty. I don't like to compare the parks, each is different and thank goodness. Many people drive thru Kansas without even noticing the beauty of the Flint Hills. Me, well every time I drive thru this area, drone on and on about the early settlers, their struggles, their hardships. I imagine walking, beside their wagons, in long, dew soaked dresses...heading West...filled with both fear and anticipation. Ooops!!! there I go....


My visit with BF's X was wonderful. We both love crafts and she was a delightful tour guide.
We went into one building that had over 100 artists and craftsmen. To me, there is a difference between the art in this area compared to the West. Maybe it's just a difference in themes???
The next day we did the Craftsmen's Circle. We went from shop to shop. The X is a weaver and I knit, so we spent a lot of time visiting with these artisans and in their studios.

The last day we explored the area and had a picnic in the mountains...yes, another whirlwind trip, but very enjoyable. The trees were not in full color...this year's weather or whatever didn't bring on all the colors that are the norm for this area, but it was still beautiful.
Normally I drive without using the radio...I think/ponder/enjoy a silence.
This time, I drove home using the scan on my radio, stopping it when either a comment or song grabbed me. Old time R & R had me singing loudly and remembering the times...
Radio evangelists had me shaking my head and worrying/sad for those who live in such fear. There was much said about damnation and salvation...a focus on all that is ugly.
I thought of a quote from a book called "Simple Abundance, A Daybook of Comfort and Joy" by Sarah Ban Breathnach".
"If you consciously work to bring more gratitude, order, simplicity, harmony, beauty, and joy into your daily life, your world will be transformed."

7 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

It sounds like a wonderful trip. I have the same thoughts hearing the radio as I cross the country. Evangelism is so fearful. Isn't it nice to have a softer, more positive approach to life? It's so cool that you are friends with the ex. All marriages that end should make that possible.

turquoisemoon said...

Gosh Teresa, she is a very nice person. We see each other at family functions and have so much in common. They divorced over 30 years ago, and BF has never spoken unkindly of her. I think that radio Evangelism may sometimes be even more extreme than the TV ones. They have to get their points across in a non visual way. I hadn't heard any of this in such a long time. It was extremely fear based...

Linda Starr said...

Oh two beautiful trips with fall colors and crafts, what could be more fun than that, how wonderful and can't wait to hear about your Tibetan art class. I too was curious about the x but that's great you two are friends.

Out on the prairie said...

The craft fair sounds fun. I enjoy going to them and finding treasures.My mom used to knit teddy bear outfits and traveled all over with those.

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, The crafts were amazing...sometimes in Kansas, the crafters get stuck on sunflowers...ha ha ha. The Tibetan art class is amazing. Every part of has some kind of deep meaning.

Steve, Wow...teddy bear outfits! I think these crafters enjoy their art twice. Once while making the item, then selling at the shows. I so enjoy visiting with them.

Manzanita said...

I used to drive through St. Louis on my many trips to and from Florida. You are so right. Why is the traffic so bad in that city? It seemed that it usually rained too when I hit it. What a mess. Knitting shops sound delightful. I have 2 sheep wool all washed and ready to spin but can't find the time. Dang. Too many irons .....
Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

turquoisemoon said...

Manz, Gosh it rained when I went through St.Louis too. Traffic was simply awful. I didn't even get to look at the Mississippi river, because I was afraid to take my eyes off the road. I hear ya about the irons...me too!!! I thought retirement meant slowing down...ha!!! was I wrong!!!