Wednesday, September 28, 2011

End of the Summer


It's about that time, again, when I bring in all my plants .
My boys have always said that I bought a deck, with an attached house...and they're right!
My deck is covered, screened and has two fans. The perfect mix of shade and sunshine makes it easy to have plants. I add more plants because the deck is open on 3 sides and there's lots of room for them. They start out small...
The grill is near the kitchen door for easy access and I cook most meals on it.
My morning coffee and meditations, afternoon breaks, knitting, dreaming, planning, reading...I spend soooo much time out there. Lunch and dinner, and for sure, all parties take place on the deck. I enjoy a glass of wine after dinner on the deck and for sure, I use it as a retreat from Fox News...ha ha ha!!!
I use this deck all year round, however, I must bring in all my plants before the first frost. It's only now that I notice the enormity of my plant collection. Spring and summer, I pick up little plants...which grow up to be big plants (kind of like kittens and puppies) and now I must find room for them inside...summer is slipping away, making way for the next season.
It's that time, again, and all these plants must come in. I don't mind the change of seasons, it's just looking around the house for places to put my plants. These pictures simply don't show how many or how big these plants become during a summer season. Ever watch "Buried Alive"? or "Hoarders"??? ...is this where I'm heading? is this what's happening to me? it starts out so innocent, but isn't this the way with hoarders???
I put them in windows, on shelves, small tables, large tables, in corners...they are stacked and scattered around my entire house. I've even stashed some in a bathtub...the lighting was good and was an easy way to provide humidity and watering, but unexpected guests sent me scurrying to clean and find another spot.
The Christmas holiday is another challenge...the fake tree and all my decorations, take precedent over the my plants.

This summer brought even more plants than usual. There were many plant sales, and then there's dividing, and my friends, knowing my love of plants, gifted me with so many beauties...but now what to do?? Ooh and I see one, maybe sickly, free to a good home kind of plant...and can I resist??? noooo...and thank goodness I don't have this problem with dogs or kittens!
You know of my fear of becoming one of those "People of Walmart"...I've written about my Wednesday Dash and the fear of the trash men taking a pic of me in my fluffy, over sized, coffee stained, red robe. Now...I worry that I'll be added in a segment of "Hoarders"...
I've been checking out the current forecast, and I've probably got another week... This is really going to be a challenge this year.


11 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

You do love you some succulents, eh? I once rented a place outside SF where the owner asked if I'd look after her collection and it was wonderful - a porch full of them, some very old and big. I still miss having all those beautiful cacti, so I do understand.

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh and I love big ferns, and airplane plants (they make lots and lots of babies) and jades and, and, and... I love them on my deck, but what to do with them when it's time to bring them in, is the problem. I actually got 3 violets for my kitchen window because I didn't have any plants in the house...now that space is no longer available for my outside plants. Yep, it's outta control...

Out on the prairie said...

I planted a few of my big ones in the ground and will only take cuttings from them. I have two shelving units I set up to handle all mine.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, You seem to have some discipline and sound organized. I'll notice that a frost is scheduled and panic. They all come in. I also have 2 bakers racks I use. Shelving units wouldn't work for me, but it's a great idea.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Oh dear. Are you a plantaholic?

Rubye Jack said...

Your house must be so cool when you bring the plants in. I love houses full of plants. It's like the house comes alive. For some reason, cacti have always been my favorites.

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, Yes, my name is TM and I'm a plantaholic.
Rubye J, The house does seem more alive. I love them. I also put weird things in the pots, like miniature birdhouses, bones, stones, tiny animals, etc. Grandbabies love looking in and around the plants for "secret" stuff...

Linda Starr said...

OH I love those succulents, your porch sounds so welcoming and that's a great bird house. I had a pencil cactus at my last place and it was the most beautiful shade of orange, it died during a hard freeze one winter even though I covered it, it was in the ground. We even have a bit of nip in the air here this morning, down in the upper sixties. Lots of moving to do, but they plants indoors help keep the air clean so that's a good thing.

turquoisemoon said...

Hi Linda, you are so right about indoor plants keeping the air clean. I really do love my plants. That old bench that the bird house is sitting on was my grandfather's work bench. I have one and my sister has the other. I sure hope my boys don't just trash it when I don't need it anymore...

One Fly said...

No-you need more of everything. It's easy to tell you like this hobby toooo much.

turquoisemoon said...

Fly, aren't you moving today??? And, do you need any plants for your new place??? ha haha ha