Saturday, August 20, 2011

Mercury Retrograde

Mercury Retrograde always has a strange effect on me.
During this time, stuff breaks. This particular time, I've had to replace my garage door openers, my computer and my cell phone. Notice the line in the above sentence??? I have no idea how that line got there and no idea how to get rid of it...this is a sample of the things that go on, in my life, during a retrograde period.
I'm retired, but have been working quite a bit this summer. Normally I enjoy these breaks from retirement, but this time, it's been difficult. I've been working so many hours, that I simply haven't had time to "re" learn my stuff. The computer guy advised me to use Mozilla, so now even sending an email or replying to one is a learning experience. I've taken some pictures but I haven't been able to move them to the puter. I now have the photoshop program, but am struggling to learn this, so this too will take time to learn and get done. I finally ordered one of those "For Dummies" books to help me with this...UGH!!!!!
My phone...humpf!!! This too is new and I lost all my contact info in the process. Do you realize that I didn't even know BF's phone number??? I couldn't even call him and let him know that I was having phone problems. I spent several hours at the phone store and couldn't even call him or respond to his calls (he was trying to find me...didn't get home from work in a reasonable amount of time and he was concerned) You know, I could remember my aunt's number, even my grandmother's number(she passed 20 years ago)...but don't know current numbers. This is a real problem with some of the technology today...we, or at least "I" rely on it, rather than learning things the old way. Kind of like using an adding device, rather than adding in my head. I no longer know my boy's numbers or my brother's, but could tell you phone numbers of my old bank, old customers, old vet and Pizza Hut!!! what the...???? I guess I could always call Pizza Hut for help...
So, until August 26th...I'll just try to lay low and avoid any more problems...
Where's that wood to knock on???


13 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Ain't it the truth? And technology changes so fast, you must constantly be in learning mode just to HOPE to keep up a little bit!

Teresa Evangeline said...

I finally wrote all the numbers down in a notebook, because I didn't know anyone's number, but, yes, the bank, my parents, now long gone, every number but those in my contact list. I fear we let our machines do our thinking for us. I'm trying to remedy that, but it's a tenacious little thing.

With my computer I pretty much muddled by way through until it started to make sense. But, I am terrible at reading instruction manuals. I short circuit.

Out on the prairie said...

I don't call a lot so numbers need to written or kept on the phone. I had a beautiful spot to stay all last week and no resources to call anyone to join me.I left my phonebook and computer at home, lost in cyberspace all week.

I use Outlook Express for Email, it makes pictures small to send and Internet Explorer for the rest, falling on Dogpile as my favorite web browser.

NitWit1 said...

I am pretty techie but a newer HP Photosmart Printer is about the dummiest design I have yet encountered. We all complain about HP ink, and I am included so I use draft mode for most everything except photos, as I am retired and not writing resumes and presentations to impress anybody.

Well this darn AIO pitches photos from the photo tray, and anything smaller than 8.5 x 11from the main tray on the floor. I need a basketball net to catch them. The paper catch/stop is only for 8.5 x ll and is located far left, while all paper of any size is stacked far right, so it flies right past that stupidly designed permanently located paper catch when in the DRAFT mode.

If you don't use the draft mode you may not know what I am saying; it is very fast, the machine even bounces side to side a bit, and the copy is not perfect although on my last printer it was very acceptable.

And you would never believe what HP tech support told me was the solution. This is a wireless printers as was the last one.

I am partially disabled walking, and cannot sit at a desk. I sit in a lift chair with a laptop and sent print materials via wireless connection in a room about 40 feet away. I usually print all I intend to, and then go collect the papers. My lift chair gently and slowly stands me up, it does not toss me. I was told I had to go to the printer and hold the paper coming out so it would not go on the floor!!!! What a stupid solution. Why do I have wireless???????

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, Boy that's the truth. I was wanting a new camera, now I'm praying my old one lasts forever. It's gonna take me awhile to learn all this stuff.
Teresa, I've got my list...now. :)
Steve, I was simply aol...had no clue about all the available browsers. I'm falling behind in all this tech stuff.
Nitwit, gosh...that printer sounds awful. I visited your blog and you take beautiful pics.

Arkansas Patti said...

Ha, Pizza Inn may not help you but at least you won't go hungry.
I get tickled when I am asked by my doctor's office the number of my emergency contact and I tell them "memory 2" on my home phone.
My cell phone only is only used for 911 and AAA.
Probably need to put and ICE number on my cell.

Kittie Howard said...

Could totally related to this post - I'm a dianosaur peddling upstream - the faster I go, the behinder I get - a six-year old knows more than I do about technology...*sighs* -

One Fly said...

Self taught. Try try again and you'll get it. If you're not happy with whatever your picture program is try another. It should be quick first of all. Good luck.

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, ha ha ha...I had to read up on what ICE (had an older phone)was. ugh!!!
Kittie, BF's 5yr old grandson fixes our tv for us, when all the remotes get screwed up. Dag gum embarrassing...
Fly, I so wanted a new camera, so I could take some better pics. But, now...I think I'll wait. I'm sure I'll get it, but ooohh...it just takes up so much time and lately time is a real issue. This working retiree is tired!

Manzanita said...

I'm way behind since my friend Marilyn was here. But now Mercury has gone direct so you must be back on track again. I had no intention of renting the ranch and someone wanted to rent it during the Merc retro period. I said "no." It would mean a contract and it sounded and felt like trouble. Now, I had another offer to rent and I accepted and it felt right and it's a congenial person.
Hope your life is now running like a well oiled machine.... well ..... you know what I mean.
Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

Linda Starr said...

Oh I am so behind on technology and what's more I don't want to learn anything new, I'm tired of it all. I have an old phone book and have the numbers written in it and a printout of email addresses, not my photos though, but at least I know my blog has a lot of my photos stored in case anything ever happens to my computer. Those books for dummies are great help. I have had my camera for more than four years and still don't know how to take a video with it, one of these days. Maybe I can take a class for that. What can we do, it is kind of scary how we rely on technology, if the electricity were to fail, what would we do?

Towanda said...

All computer guys say to use Mozilla, but it's not as good as Chrome for Blogger. Computer guys like to think of themselves as having different drummers and so shy away from the mainstream stuff. I don't even know my son's cell number but I can remember my number as a 9-year old. Go figure.

clairz said...

Aha! So this is the explanation as to why all our gadgets have been turning on us--my camera jammed in the middle of one of the high points of our recent vacation, my Nook is absolutely dead and unresponsive, and my computer, usually so quick, is acting like it is wading through quicksand.

Thank you for providing a much-needed explanation. I thought it was just me!