Sunday, July 3, 2011

A Love Story

Happy 90th Birthday!!!

We held a surprise luncheon for my uncle. 22 nieces and nephews showed up to honor this fine man. His younger brother attended and an old girlfriend.

To strangers, I'm sure he's just some old man, but to know his life, or at least some of it...just puts a smile on your face.

This ole man was quite dashing in his day. In fact, very handsome and the old girlfriend, my gosh...what a pin up! Imagine this...a WWII Air force pilot with her pictured on his plane. A love story!!!

He crash landed twice during the war, obviously survived, and eventually retired from the air force.

They never married, but remained friends. It's fun to see them together and picture them "young and in love".

He married another beauty, who passed away two years ago. He "retired" two more times, and finally really retired after his wife passed.

After the singing of Happy Birthday, he gave a quiet speech,

"You know, I've been living on borrowed time since 1943...."

11 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

Sunday morning goosebumps. I love his smile, still so full of life. I bet he was handsome. Still is!

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Hey, he's still a handsome man! I bet he'd still have his pick of the ladies!

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa and Debra, I too think he's still handsome. He just recently moved to a retirement home and the ladies "love" him.
Do you all happen to remember James Cagney singing "Yankee Doodle Dandy"? I find myself singing this when I picture/think of my uncle, only he was born on the first of July...

Linda Starr said...

You know I never looked at old, really old people with curiosity till I took care of my father in law and then I learned old doesn't mean not interesting or not handsome or beautiful, it means a different kind of handsome or beautiful and there is a wealth of knowledge the old can give us, I can see all that in your uncle for sure, he's got a real spark in his eyes and a hint of a bit of devilishness in his smile. Happy Birthday to him.

One Fly said...

I tell you - these old guys rock! My uncle a vet as well turned 90 last December as well. Sharper than hell too. I would love to hear his stories.
Happy BDay to your uncle.

You might get a kick from reading this. It's about pilots WWII and friends.

turquoisemoon said...

Linda, Me Too! They have incredible stories and have lived incredible lives. The Native American, as well as other cultures, have much respect for their elders. They view them differently than our culture does... We could learn much!
Fly, I see that bumper sticker "No Fear" on a young person's car and I wonder and ponder... What a car your Uncle has...you're right, I did get a kick out of your post. Thanks for sharing!

Arkansas Patti said...

What a neat post about a very special man. That smile tells a lot. How very sweet that the old girl friend is still in his life.
Thank you for a great start to my day.

Manzanita said...

He's the youngest looking 90 yr old I've seen. What a sweet, dear man. He still has a twinkle in his eyes and I bet he finds a lot of joy in his life. He'd have a good "book" in him. You better write it.
Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

turquoisemoon said...

Patti and Manzanita, He is very special and that twinkle...??? He's led a good life and is still enjoying life to the fullest. I wish I could write better, but I'm simply not talented enough to write a book about anything. He's still very active and very funny. I did notice that after he sat for awhile, getting up was hard for him, but gosh...it's hard for me to get up too.

NitWit1 said...

I love it, especially since my father lived to 92. Unti his late 80s I loved to visit and hear about the "good ole days" of riding a horse drawn wagon with lunch packed to church, stayed all day, made the communion which was wine, etc. hunting with his brothers, etc.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

gives me something to yearn for