Friday, May 13, 2011

Thank You University of Arkansas

What a road trip! I got to see the Dalai Lama at the University of Arkansas yesterday!


From Kansas City, it was only about a 4 hour drive...no way was I going to miss this opportunity.


HH Dalai Lama is such a humble, happy person. His presence was profound.


"I am a simple monk" he says... "no more, no less."


His laughter was infectious. He was kind of hard to understand, but when he laughed, we all did.



The morning panel discussion included HH Dalai Lama, Sister Helen Prejean, and Vincent Harding.
What a powerful group.
Sister Prejean is the author of Dead Man Walking. Susan Sarandon played Sister Prejean in the movie.
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. delivered the speech Harding wrote at the Riverside Church on April 4, 1967. "Beyond Vietnam. A Time to Break Silence."















It doesn't get any better than this!















5 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

It must have been a wonderful evening, Lynn. I'm so happy for you!

turquoisemoon said...

Oh gosh Teresa, the event was all day on Wednesday. I drove down Tuesday and didn't come home till Thursday. It was a mini vacation.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Holy moly! Well worth the 4 hour drive! How wonderful to have been there!

Manzanita said...

What a beautiful chance of a lifetime. Four hours is nothing to drive. I drive that far to get my teeth cleaned. :) Your pictures are so clear and crisp. You must have had a close-up seat. Those saffron robes always make me want to be a monk-ess. I love this post. Thanks.
Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

turquoisemoon said...

No...we had OK seats. They had huge screens, overhead, so we could see as good as if we were in the front row. It was wonderful...