Sunday, May 15, 2011

Fall River, My Attachment

This is my most very favorite river...The Fall River. Located in RMNP...my most very favorite park. When I'm there, the sounds of this river lull me to a place that is deep inside of my soul. I've camped near, slept by, hiked, meditated, photographed, dreamed, cried and laughed, sipped coffee, waded, picnicked, introduced to friends and family...this river of mine.

Yes! This is my river...and yours. Thank goodness for our National Parks! These pictures are from my most favorite web cam in the world...my river. I retreat to my computer, every morning, with a cup of coffee and am transported to this...my place...on a daily basis.
I watch the changing of the seasons and allow myself to dream, wish...long for my park, my mountains, my river. Does this longing cause me pain? Probably... In Buddhism we are taught of attachments to sense pleasures and how they can cause pain...Yes, it does cause me pain, but I just can't give it up. There's pain in longing, but I get such a comfort too. I do struggle with this.
"Live joyfully, without desire" Buddha


The rock, pictured above, is really a boulder. It is nearly covered by the spring runoffs. The same boulder, below, is completely covered.



The picture, below, shows a man viewing the river. It gives an idea of proportion. This web cam has also captured deer and one time, an elk.



I do suffer from this attachment. I long for this place. I could easily give this longing up, but I won't. At least not right now. I drift off to sleep, with memories of this river, and I smile. Pain? but there is also pleasure?

"Whatever is felt is within suffering."

"Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without."

"Do not let pleasure distract you from meditation, from the way. Free yourself from pleasure and pain."

Buddha

This is my delima. I want to grow spiritually, but don't want to give this up.

what to do...???









7 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

Move nearby? :) Or just hold it in your heart as you do. We should all have places in our hearts and souls that we repair to for respite and spiritual sustenance, and I cannot see the downside unless it robs you of joy in the moment. It doesn't sound like it does, but it may be speaking to you for a reason....

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Aren't web cams wonderful? I'm not a Buddhist, but isn't one kind of detachment the recognition that something will go on without you and that's fine? In the meantime, enjoy its freedom and yours.

Arkansas Patti said...

I have never studied Buddhism so I really don't know what you are seeking. It really seems like a harmless pleasure and a healthy one. Viewing nature seems so pure.

Out on the prairie said...

I have alawys valued a special place such as this to build my spirit. I listen to that water, a substance that has been around longer than man.It has heard and recorded the world.

Linda Starr said...

Without pain or pleasure would life be worth living? Not sure I understand why pleasure must be or should be given up; without the pleasure and only pain I wouldn't want to live. That river is a beautiful place and I don't think you should deprive yourself the pleasure of viewing.

One Fly said...

I like RMNP as well but don't get there much. I'm not sure if they have the road open yet-probably not.

Manzanita said...

I must have missed this one. It's a very compelling post. I like rivers if they are little but then I guess they're brooks. Oh, river or brook, it's all running water, for which I'm grateful. :)
Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck