Saturday, April 30, 2011

Herb Garden is Planted

Spring has sprung in the KC area. I just finished planting my garden. This is not the huge veggie type. This is my herb garden and I think I do it for the mere fun of it.



This year I planted lemon balm, basil, thyme, lavender and mint julep.



I got this idea from a local nursery. They had done it on a huge scale. I wanted it to fit my yard and my need for herbs, so it was scaled down.



I use the top of a birdbath and simply placed it on the ground, surrounded by my flowers. The first year I didn't drill drain holes and it soon flooded with all the spring rain...ruined. The year after that, I planted too many plants and it got overcrowded. I'd trim, but the effect was just not there. Last year, the birds stole many of my little fairy stuff. I'm learning as I go.
Last year I used these itty bitty little bricks to make the walkway...after the first rain, they were washed away. This year I used marbles. The marbles are flat on one side. I used a colorful/shiny marble as a gazing ball. Just click on any of the pics and you can see more of the details.



In the one below, maybe you can see...not sure, I tied down a miniature watering can. The birds took my miniature hoe and shovel and still haven't found any to replace the ones those thieving critters took.



One year, I place a mirror in it and surrounded it with small stones...looked kindof like a small little pond. I thought that turned out cute.





This is visable from my deck. Too much fun looking at it. And, in a few weeks, I'll have some fun herbs...


BF (the farmer) just looks blankly at it. "I thought you said you were planting a garden," he said.





Now this is farming!!!



ha ha ha...!!!
















7 comments:

Out on the prairie said...

Lovely idea, it has a special charm to it.

Sandy Jorgensen said...

shrink me now, I want to play there! So cute Lynn.

Tracy said...

What a fantastic idea!!! That is phenomenal!

turquoisemoon said...

Thanks guys!!! I enjoy my "gardening" every year. The birds are my biggest problem. They steal and dig around in it. I need to come up with something to discourage this.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Good luck with it this year! The wee house is particularly charming!

Teresa Evangeline said...

Very cool. I love little fairylands. I've been thinking of an herb garden, too. Hopefully where it will not be a temptation to the birds. Which means inside probably. :)

Manzanita said...

I'm with Sandy J. Shrink me too. I've never grown up. I always want to play with fairy's and elves. That whole idea is adorable and I could romanticize over it for hours. I did start some basil in the house and have to transplant it soon. Not outdoors yet, here in Montana, but just to larger containers. Love, love, love your garden.

Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck