Sunday, March 27, 2011

Lines I Sometimes Use

Didn't put enough dirt down. Saw it...right off.

So...what movie does this line come from?

How about Squeak's line? You just a big ol' heifer!

or

Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle. How lewd.

Another Doc Holliday line...It's true, you are a good woman. Then again, you may be the Antichrist. Doc Holliday had a lot of good ones.

I love Jebediah Nightlinger's line... It smells of boy in here. (Gosh, I raised two boys, and that smell is real...I've used this line over and over again)

Wil Anderson said, Big mouth don't make a big man.

Do you know who Wil Anderson is? Hint...one of John Wayne's rolls.

Speaking of Wil, how about Will Munny's line. Funny thing, killin' a man. You take away everything he's got and everything he's gonna have.

Another character in this movie...Clyde, a one armed deputy, loaded down with guns says, Well I just don't want to be killed for lack of shootin' back.

You're going the wrong way...line from a John Candy movie. That movie had so many great lines, probably why we watch it over and over again.

Love this line. Har, Har, Har

This was so funny when I heard it the first time. This was a line spoken by Charlie McCorry, aka Ken Curtis, aka Festus...but what movie??? I know you know this one. Merry Christmas. Shitter was full. but, this one almost slipped by me. Better take a rain check on that. Art-he's got a lip fungus they ain't identified yet...

Elk don't know how many legs a horse has.

Professor Lillian Stone said this. What happened was inevitable. The way it happened was unconscionable. This was/is a great line from a mediocre movie. Perhaps I could learn to hate with the proper vigor from you, Al. A few more memorable lines from that movie. Why does the White-Eye want all land? With all this land, why is there no room for the Apache? Must be a Texan. Lowest form of white man there is.

Who is this person who speaks to me as though I needed his advice? I think of this line when my grand babies (under 10 years old) are telling me when and how... This line may not be as remembered as this one from the same movie. Every man dies, not every man really lives. Another line from another movie says it like this..By God Woodrow, it's not dyin' I'm talking 'bout, it's livin'. I hate rude behavior in a man...I won't tolerate it. And, Ain't much of a crime, whackin a surly bartender.

One of my favorite lines in Lonesome Dove is...Dan hates sodbusters. Hates their guts and livers. Now that's reeel hate...ha ha ha!

Do you know who plays Daryl Van Horne? Loved this line...I see men, sixty, seventy years old breaking their balls to stay fit! What for? When I die, I want to be sick, not healthy. It touched me! It's been touching you for 12 years, you never freak! Not you...A thing. What thing? That thing. Oh, it's just a little sparrow. C'mon Roman, it's got ears!

Let's not forget long time favorite...Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn...

But my favorite all time line was John Candy's in Vacation.


Sorry, folks...park's closed. The moose out front shoulda told ya.


These are not all of my favorite lines...just some that I'm just sitting here remembering. I was just thinking about the impact that movies play in our lives. These words come out of me at the strangest of times, like when a store is closed. Someone says they hate something. Talking about raising boys... Now I'm going to show my age here, but what kind of sayings are the younger generations learning from all their movies? Books??? Do any, of this younger generation, even read books anymore? Ooh they read, if in college, but so many are not in college, running the streets/stores with a gansta, tough guy/girl mentality. I worked yesterday, stopped at Walmart, came home and was tired and just turned on TV to chill out. There was nothing on except reality, horror and gansta. I don't know if it was the lack of TV programs or stopping by Walmart that started this tangent...

14 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

Probably a little of both... LOL I have my favorite lines, too, and try to insert them in conversation as often as possible, which isn't often. Lonesome Dove had many.

A possible tip: I turned the tv on last night to one of my three (plus PBS) channels, and "Harry's Law" with Kathy Bates, I like. I like her. It's moving to Mon. nights soon, I think. It takes current moral issues, sets them in the courtroom and makes some solid points. FWIW.

turquoisemoon said...

I love PBS, The History Channel, Discovery and have other favs. Haven't watched Harry's Law yet, but heard it's good. Lately the History channel has been awful. Last night all I wanted to do was just chill before bed for an hour or so and simply couldn't find anything on close to 200 channels. It's probably me...

Debra She Who Seeks said...

So many movies, so little time!

One Fly said...

I enjoyed this!!

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, I love a movie with great one-liners. Your Canadian, John Candy, had tons of them. I could probably write an entire blog just on his lines. I sure miss him...
One Fly, Thanks! I just wonder if anybody knows who said the "Har, har, har"? or what movie it was in...? This one cracked me up.

Manzanita said...

I can't do Walmart. I can't breath in there and my eyes hurt from all the chemicals. Probably from Walmart. That'll do it. I recognized a few..... not too many. But how about my all time favorite, "Play it again, Sam."

turquoisemoon said...

I don't tan, I stroke... ha ha ha!!! Good one!

turquoisemoon said...

From top to bottom
Jeremiah Johnson,The Color Purple, Tombstone, The Cowboys, Unforgiven, Planes,Trains and Automobiles, The Searchers, Christmas Vacation, Jeremiah Johnson, Last of the Dogmen, Geronimo, Braveheart, Lonesome Dove, Witches of Eastwick, The Great Outdoors, Gone With the Wind, Vacation.

Arkansas Patti said...

Such a memory you have, not so much for the great lines, but for knowing where they came from.
I usually remember the lines only when unconsciously weaving them into my own writing or conversations, thinking I am so clever and original. Think that might be stealing, huh?

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, I only wish I could remember names or exactly what I went to the frig for!!! ha ha ha!

Out on the prairie said...

This made me think of a short Lenny Bruce with the Lone Ranger and Tonto.
"Tonto, we are surrounded by Indians!"
"What do you mean by we, Kemosumy?", replied Tonto.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, ha ha ha...too funny!!!

Tracy said...

Isn't it amazing how 'the parting lines' are the ones we remember? We pass those off as insignificant but sometimes they are the more powerful as more than often, we don't have time or aren't given the time to respond...
I hope you are okay; it's been awhile since you've posted! ...thinking of you!

turquoisemoon said...

Tracy, Yes, you are soooo right. Thanks for your concern. I'm retired but work p/t at several little jobs. Normally, just a day here & there, but lately everybody's been needing help. Not much computer time, but the $$$'s great!