Friday, December 17, 2010

I Make the Best Sugar Cookies in the World

Years ago, in fact many years ago, I smugly told my niece and nephews that I made the very best sugar cookies in the whole wide world. "Oooh noooo...," they said. "Our mommy makes the best."
I told them, nope! Aunt Lynn makes the best.
Now at this point, my sister was even looking at me. She's the cook in our family, so how in the world and why in the world would I be making this wild claim???
I replied that Santa drops by every year to get some of my world famous sugar cookies, and then asked them if Santa ever made a special trip to their house for the treat?
Of course their answer was no...
They were invited to my house for dinner and I would show them how to make world famous sugar cookies.
The cookies had to be perfect and each one had to be iced...and just the right amount of sprinkles.
Four colors must be used. red, white, green and yellow...and there must be carrots in the house, so that when Santa came, he'd have something for the reindeer.
My sister laughed, but took me up on the dinner. Right after dinner, the doorbell rang. I calmly said, "ooh gosh, that must be Santa!"
The kids ran to the door and sure enough...HO HO HO!!! Merry Christmas! Are my sugar cookies ready? Mrs. Claus and I are so hungry for your sugar cookies! They're the best in the whole wide world!!!
The kids were wide eyed and looking lovingly at me...their favorite aunt.
Each got to sit on his lap and tell Santa of their Christmas wishes.
They're all grown up now. My niece has two children of her own and the littlest one, pictured above, is a senior in college.
To this day, you can ask them who's their favorite aunt and who makes the best sugar cookies in the whole wide world...and they'll respond that it's me.
Aren't nieces and nephews the funnest...???

7 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

What a wonderful surprise you prepared for your niece and nephews! You're a great auntie!

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, I thought about this tonight as I was wrapping their gifts. I wondered if they can even remember any of the gifts I've given them over the years. But, I'm sure they'll never forget that evening. I guess it's not what you buy for love ones, but what you give to them.

Arkansas Patti said...

That last sentence in your reply to Debra, says it all.
Favorite Aunt is a coveted title, wear it well. That was a great looking Santa by the way.

Tracy said...

Oh Lyn, What a precious story and an even better memory for all of you! I love it!
Okay, so since you have the best sugar cookie recipe; what is it? I love to make Christmas cookies with my son, which is our venture for the weeknd and so just thought I'd ask...this might be the last year we can entice Santa to visit since Nicholas is eleven this year!
thanks for the smile!

turquoisemoon said...

Patti, Santa was a neighbor and I promised him some of the cookies for popping in...it was great fun.
Tracy, If Santa shows up, your cookies will be the best! ha ha ha!!!

Out on the prairie said...

What a beautiful story. We had a Santa visit us each year with candy, and nobody was sure who it was, until in later years a friend of my dad said he had a friend without family and enjoyed hearing of big families like ours to play Santa to. In later years he sent a case of fruit from where he retired in Texas.

turquoisemoon said...

Steve, now that's a great story!!! Wow!!!