Thursday, October 14, 2010

Fried Green Tomatoes - Part 2

So yesterday I run to Costco.
Let's go back and review...Sunday, I ran to the grocery store (see previous post) and had an awful experience with the irate man behind me in line and a surly cashier. Out of nowhere, there was an attack. I was dumbfounded as to why, and frustrated with my own responses. I had talked to BF about the incident, and he simply said, "you should have kicked him in the balls," and say something that included MF. Well that's BF for ya...
BF and I are opposites, as you know, he's far right and I'm left of left. He starts his day with Fox News and I start mine with meditation.
So I'm shopping at Costco. I've got a loaded cart and working my way back to the front of the store. OMG...they're sampling a cheesecake crisp!!! I'm dieting, so I normally don't take even the tiniest of samples, but cheesecake????
I waited, but the lady said it would be a second, so I dashed off for coffee and returned only to have the samples given to the people that had remained in line. No problem, she said to hang in there a second and she'd get my piece ready. As she worked, we visited.
My piece was ready and she slid it on the tray for me ... and, just as she did this, a Costco worker, a tiny, short, feeble but cranky looking old lady, snatched my sample. She maneuvered between the worker and me and snatched my piece. She looked at me with hard, cold and, I think defiant eyes...as if daring me to challenge her eyes, and walked off remarking that the sampler will fix me another piece.
The sample lady and I both looked at each other...dumbfounded!
Again, I was left with my eyelids batting... The sample lady said, "that was the rudest thing she's seen in a long time." I burst out laughing and thinking, that what you resist, persists...
I got it right this time! I didn't get upset, I did it right!
With this in mind, I later told BF about the incident and made a comment that "kicking the offender in the balls" wouldn't have worked. That by not responding with anger, or feeling upset worked! I asked him, now...in this case, what do you think I should have done to this lady?
His response...OMG...he said that I should have reached out and tweaked her on the boob!
OMG...
I'm laughing now, but can you imagine??? I can just "see" myself posting on how I'd been in jail for several days, on some kind of sexual harassment or assault charge. Can you just imagine how it would be reported in the news? Two elderly ladies.....
ha ha ha

11 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

You responded beautifully and isn't it interesting that you got another opportunity for a different response? I would have been tempted to say to her, "You must not have gotten laid last night."

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I guess all is fair in war and cheesecake . . . .

Linda Starr said...

Oh, I have to try and practice this, I am glad I stopped by since I am the opposite of you and no matter how hard I try I can't seem to "manage" my anger at situations just like you've described, you've given me much to think about, thanks.

swamericana said...

I'm not so sure I can go to places like that much anymore. Rude behavior. Terrible. Good for you on the political left. It's hard to live unknown, but confronting female and male arrogance pushes me out of public places more than I would like to admit. (Jack of Sage to Meadow)

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa...yes, it's interesting that another opportunity dropped in my lap. You know, I had a feeling something like that would happen, but I certainly wasn't prepared for a little, mean old lady.
Debra, LOL...I think I could have taken her...
Linda, I'm a 4x's Sag. This is really work for me. By nature, I have a real hard time keeping my mouth, emotions, anger out of situations. Normally, I'm very quick with words, but I've been really working on these things. And really, what would I have gained? hmmm...maybe a larger piece of cheesecake? one for the victor? hmmm...Now that's good reason...LOL!

turquoisemoon said...

Jack...how in the world are you? I'm so glad you visited. You know, I've seen this attitude in the(pardon this)younger generation. Boy, that makes me sound sooo old, anyway, I've seen this lots from them, but this old lady really threw me a curve. Another thing that was really bad, is that she was a Costco employee. Normal rules are to always let the customer go first, and in some places, employees aren't even allowed to sample. Bad employee!!!

Arkansas Patti said...

She has to be kin to the guy you met Sunday. Hopefully they go home together.
Way to go with your behavior modification. You do get more cheesecake with honey than vinegar or something like that.
Admire your courage living with a ball kicking, boob tweaking righty :)) Delightful post.

turquoisemoon said...

Ooh Patti...too funny! I will call him that!

Kittie Howard said...

Oooooh but I loved how you handled this. Most people would've huffed off to the complaint's desk (and the woman would have been fired, for sure). You know, I had a feeling when I opened your post there would be a balancing story to the previous post.

Had to chuckle over Patti's "ball kicking, boob tweaking righty" comment. If your honey lived with me and dished up Obama, BF would have earrings hanging....ohh we're all having too much fun being bad...(sorry, BF!)

My Grama's Soul said...

Hi there....I have been a follower for a while....I know it is not proper blogging format to make a comment that is not relevant to the post....but I could not find an e-mail address for you....I, too, am very interested in Buddhism and have done much reading....but I really am at a loss as to where or how to begin formal instruction....Could you give me some insight into this. My e-mail address is available on my blog profile.

I really appreciate any help you can give.

Xo

Jo

I Wonder Wye said...

Oh my! Rudeness is endemic, but an employee doing this?! I think I would have said loudly 'by all means, since you are in too much of a hurry to wait your turn, DO take my sample!" With a look that implied true intent...you are more Zen, having had your daily bout of meditation and handled it gracefully, though -- now I simply have to read your other account, relieved I am not the only freak-magnet out there...