Thursday, August 19, 2010

Very Sad Day

I had to put my beloved little dog, LD, down today.
He gave me so much love and entertainment over the years.
There are soooo many stories.
One vet finally excused his obesity, by stating that he was simply big boned.
He sure loved to eat. One of his favorite places was McDonald's. When I traveled a lot (horse shows), LD would go with me. He would refuse his food so I would have to go to McDonald's. He had my number, didn't he?
At one horse show, they had a calcutta...we auctioned off our dogs and then raced them. All the money went to the AQHA Youth... LD came in second (small dog competition) winning quite a bit for the youth.
LD never met a friend...LOL...He was an ankle biter. In fact, we referred to his breed as a
pit-chihuahua.
I had one girlfriend that he really loved. He would sit very close to her, but she wasn't allowed to pet him...he'd growl...but, he really wanted her to love him.
My husband and LD were awful. He thought LD should be allowed to pick a neighbor's yard to do his nightly business...it was their special? time. After my husband's death, I wouldn't allow him this pleasure. That evening he sat on the patio step, nodding his head just like my husband would do when he was pissed. Later that spiteful little man, jumped up on my son's bed and right in the middle, did his business.
He could stomp...ever hear of a Chihuahua stomping???
He liked to go camping with me. Guarded the camper like a German Shepard or Pit Bull.
He was certainly the picture of a big dog trapped in a small dog body.
There are too many stories...in fact after 16/17 years, I've got a ton of them. I won't bore you with all his antics, but I'll never forget them.
We stopped at McDonald's on our way to the vet. He had two cheeseburgers and water.
He was really starting to suffer...he was deaf and blind. He was always falling and had a very hard time getting up. I kept him as comfortable as I could. I really don't think I could have done much more for the little guy, but regret having to do this, nevertheless.
I hated making this decision, and second guessed myself up to the last minute...but it was best for him, but certainly not for me.
He was his mommy's boy...
I'll miss you little man...
Love you...
Mommy

13 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

Oh, sweet woman, what a tough time for you, letting go of a long time pet and companion. It must have been so difficult. I once had to have a dog put down due to what the vet said was an incurable blood disease. Best thoughts to you. Hugs, too. Teresa

mxtodis123 said...

Oh, I am so sorry. Our pets become a part of our family and making the decision to let them go is one of the hardest things we can do. You might want to check out a website called Petloss.com.
It's truly a wonderful place which helped me threw my loss.
Mary

Charlene said...

My old cat Smoke died at 20. I knew he was sick but could not put him down. The night before he died he climbed up into my big chair and lay on the arm just like he used to do. That night he died. I miss him still and it's been three cats since he died.

I won't give you advice about getting another pet companion.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Rest in peace, LD, in a land of McDonald's cheeseburgers and all the treats you loved! Hugs to you, Turquoisemoon. May you find heart's ease in time.

turquoisemoon said...

Thank you all for your kind comments.

MyShilohRanch said...

Oh my friend, I am so sorry to hear about LD. That part of raising a pet is SO awful. :/ My JRT was my "little man" too. :)
I do love that precious picture of LD. Awww, also I LOVE that you got him those cheeseburgers; you KNOW that made him happy. Well it hasn't been long enough since my little man passed ... I cry with you. <3 Bless your heart. My heartfelt sympathy TM...

catherinesherman said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. This made me cry. I had to put down my lovely old cat Malcolm last November, and I still miss him so much. Animals can be our greatest friends.

turquoisemoon said...

My friends...animal lovers...we all share the losses of our little babies. Thank you all...

Kittie Howard said...

Ohhh, Lyn, tears are falling. My heart goes out to you!!! I've been in your painful shoes...know what you mean about second-guessing to the very end...it all hurts, hurts, hurts!! But I loved your stories, what a character your baby was...loved the part about stopping at McDonald's...please tell your stories...hugs to you, tight hugs!!

Kittie Howard said...

Thanks, Lyn, your great comment fed the spirit! You understood exactly what I was saying and I thank you for that. I just want to add that hub and I really, really feel for you. It was sooo tough when Chena crossed the rainbow bridge. I mean, one's not losing a child but it sure feels like it *sigh*...just sob it out as much as you can.

Kittie Howard said...

Just checking back to see how you're doing.

KodasTotems said...

Lyn, my heart goes out to you. As having lost many of my own babies over the years, I know the tremendous emptiness their death brings to us. I am so sorry for the sorrow you must be feeling.

Kristy

turquoisemoon said...

I really miss that little guy. I have his pic on my frig and have to look at it and smile every day. Grandson (4yrs old) came over last weekend...explaining to him where LD was, was extremely sad. Little ones simply don't understand. Tried to keep it simple, but that little Virgo asked tons of questions and demanded answers. Anyway, thank you all so very much for your warm comments and concern.