Sunday, July 4, 2010

Rime Buddhist Center

About a year and a half ago, I became a Buddhist.
Last Sunday, I finally joined the Rime Buddhist Center.
If you're ever in K.C. on a Sunday, and happen to be a Buddhist, or just interested, it's a wonderful opportunity to visit a Buddhist service/practice.
Our Sunday practice combines both Eastern and Western elements into a complete service. It's very interesting, and feels good.
We meditate 3 times and it also satisfies my "Western" desire to go to church and sing...only we sing kind of a chant. One of our songs goes, "Om Tare Tu Tare Ture Soha" and the other one is "Om Mani Padme Hum"
Lama Chuck also gives a Dharma talk. Today it was on personal freedom.
This was a big decision for me...to join a "church".
I have resisted the urge to join because of many years of feeling restricted, being told something that I simply didn't feel was truth, and/or being told of a hell I would be heading to if I didn't follow their teachings. These methods help many, so for sure I'm not wanting to demean any other faith or religious view...it just doesn't work for me.
I've been on a personal search for years and I guess there's always been a knowing that some day I would become a Buddhist, but was really hesitant in joining anything organized.
So...after attending many services, classes and even a pot luck dinner or two, I finally felt assured that it would be different this time and joined.

11 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

May the RBC be the perfect spiritual home for you. Blessings!

turquoisemoon said...

I sure hope so...it's been a long search. 40ish years...

Teresa Evangeline said...

What a fine thing, to find your spiritual home. I could feel it in your writing. Very nice.

Arkansas Patti said...

It is wonderful you have found your place. I too have shied away from organized religion and the "our way is the only way" doctrine.
My spirituality is internal, perhaps someday I will find my home like you did. I'm happy for you.

turquoisemoon said...

Organized religion bothered me even as a young child. A spiritual search has dominated my life. Figures with Sagittarius Sun and Moon in the 8th house and Mercuy in the 9th. Talk about an intense search...

Kristy said...

I'm feeling pure jealousy over such a rare and beautiful oportunity- to be a member of such a place. (I refuse to call it a 'church'... LOL) What a perfect extension of you. I wish we had something like that here...

MyShilohRanch said...

Aren't the Buddist Centers called Temples? Or are those different? I had several awesome customers who lived in a temple(?) in a residential area in Moreno Valley. They came from different countries to live there.

Did you actually have to physically sign up? I have always shied away from that myself ...
Finding your spiritual home feels soooo good. You just know/feel the rightness when you first sit down! Happy for you :D

turquoisemoon said...

Susan, you know..I don't know. I'll have to check on that. It's called The Rime Buddhist Center..hmmm. Anyway, yes, I had to take 4 membership classes, and "eeek" take a picture for their paper. It took me a 1 1/2 years of going there, before I decided to join. It was a big step for me.

My Grama's Soul said...

I have been tinkering with Buddhism for years combined with a little of this and a little of that. Perhaps someday I, too, will find my spiritual home.

Jo

Linda Starr said...

Glad you have found the place for you; after Catholic schools my whole childhood, I still haven't found the need for any organized religion the past 40 years. I guess I feel my spiritual home is in nature and within myself.

Teresa Evangeline said...

Lynn, No pressure, just wanted you to know, I miss your postings and trust you've enjoyed your July! Teresa