Friday, June 25, 2010

Girlfriends




I just got back from a quick trip to the Lake of the Ozarks. A trip with the girls. A trip filled with laughter, great food, unhealthy food, shopping, more laughter and...I must admit...a tad bit of too much wine. If I had any advise for a young gal, it would be to have girlfriends and lots of them. Different friends...some that are spiritual, some that are rowdy, some that are artistic, some that are good cooks, some that love to shop, some that love the outdoors...girlfriends are simply wonderful! Girlfriends are sisters and they are "forever". Girlfriends don't care if you're on a diet or a tad overweight. Girlfriends don't care if you have your makeup on or stay in you jammies till 2:00. Girlfriends will tell you secrets and keep your secrets. In fact, sometimes they are the cause of a secret...and you will laugh and laugh and laugh about that "secret" in the years to come. Funny...I now even have a group of cyber girlfriends and really care about them too.
Anyway, we all hooked up at Cole Camp, Mo. We shopped and had lunch. We also went to a cheese store. I sampled this incredible chocolate cheese and it was like heaven. Fresh strawberries and a slice of chocolate cheese...OMG!!! The flavors really complement each other. We headed out of town, but on the way, we spotted the FU sign. The caravan stopped, and we all piled out to take pictures. By now we were hysterical.
We left Cole Camp, but not without hitting a local grocery store. They were having a sale on soap. 10 for $10. You'd thought this was the first time we'd ever come to a city. Then off again till our next stop. You see, we're in the Ozarks now, so there's little places to stop everywhere. We stopped at a nursery and I took pictures of flowers like a visitor from some flowerless country. We stopped at another country store with handmade wooden furniture and a soap that rids one of poison ivy...like I've had poison ivy in the last 30/40 years. Ooh and I think that's when we all got into buying the ice cream cones. In the town of Stover, we stopped at a store selling Mexican decor. One more stop for ice, then off to the cabin.
The cabin overlooked the lake. Food was carried in and gosh...Time for a drink! We hauled the food and the coolers of wine, beer, etc to the boat dock. There were lots of steps going down to the dock, so who would want to climb back up for a can of beer???
Off in the boat...The next picture is of...well...it's Big Dick's Halfway Inn. This is bar, marina, motel, bait shop and gift shop. We had to stop there and have a round. This place is where it's a big deal to swallow a live minnow in a drink...and no, I didn't even want to try this. Some guy did it and was cheered as if he'd saved the country. hmmmm... By the next stop, we were all starting to feel a bit too happy? So we ordered onion rings and some loaded waffle fries, with fake bacon bits and probably fake cheese. I am normally a non-drinking, healthy eating person (I worked at Whole Foods)...so...this all was not really great on my stomach. We boated awhile longer, then headed back to the cabin for...yep!...more food and more drinks. Dinner wasn't until after 10 and I have no idea what time we all went to bed.
The next day some started their day off with a brisk hike and some did meditations...after that, we all started drinking, eating, more boating and swimming. I got a sunburn...
It was so much fun. These gals are soooo funny and I love them.
I got home late last night and took a nap this afternoon. Added lots of memories but now ready to get back into my routine. The thought of eating even one of those waffle fries almost gags me. I

8 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

I love this! It sounds like such a good time. This is a fun synchronicity: a friend just returned from Alaska and in the middle of nowhere, well, it is Alaska, there was a bar called Skinny Dick's Halfway Inn. The second time I've heard something like this in a week! What does it all meeaan? :) Great post. I could feeel the fun from here!

Charlene said...

I agree about the girlfriends!

Chocolate cheese? Sounds good. I wonder if I could dip some colby or cheddar in chocolate??

turquoisemoon said...

Teresa, hmmmm...that's really a weird synchronicity. Got to be something profound! LOL
Charlene, That was the first time I ever tasted a chocolate cheese and to say it was amazing is an understatement... I bought more on my way back thru the town, on my way home. Picking up some more fresh strawberries tomorrow. Ooh and "NO" on dipping colby or cheddar in chocolate. It just wouldn't be the same....

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Holy moly, what a road trip! Love those signs!

turquoisemoon said...

Debra, Those signs were a hoot! We laughed so hard...

MyShilohRanch said...

Love the signs ... thanks for the laughs. Glad you had a good time with the girls ... it is usually quite a feat to get everyone together at one time in one place! Fun fun fun!!! Nice to have a nice new set of memories to add to your collection.
Happy Summer!

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

I love those signs..i like note paper that are in letters...the letter f and the letter u..i love when i leave notes for people on my door with a fu and then the message.

Purplebears said...

My husband and I were just discussing Missouri highway signs - this is a fun one. I'll have to show him.