Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Does This Look Like A Cow?

This is a flag used in the training of cutting horses. It moves back and forth on the wall of the arena, giving the horses something, besides a cow, to cut.
This was the first time I had seen one of these used...
Sophie played with the farm dogs. They played so hard.
She really thinks that she's a farm dog. She gets so excited when I say words like "farm" or "cows" or "horses".
I swear she knows the way...every time I make a turn on the familiar drive to the farm, she kisses me. It's practically the only time she kisses me. And, if I tell her we're going to go see daddy at the farm, she goes nuts. Makes the funniest noises and kisses me till I need to stop her...gosh, I'm driving and she's all over me. Luv it tho!
The noise she makes is so funny because she's not allowed to bark at cows, so she does this silent bark. Aren't they the funniest???
This is inside the arena. That flag (in the first pic) runs along that wall. You can see one of the horses working on the far left end.
and...that's a real arena dog. Nothing bothered him. The horses were working all around him and he didn't even twitch.


I wouldn't let Sophie come into the arena. She may think she's a farm dog, but she's not.
She really hasn't been around horses very much, so I was being cautious.
She stayed right there, like a good girl, the entire time BF was practicing.
She watched his every move.
BF alway says that she's his blond girlfriend...

I thought this gray was pretty against that old fencing.
He's hanging out till it's his turn to practice.


We're going to Garden City for a cutting this weekend...ought to be fun!!!



4 comments:

Teresa Evangeline said...

Looks like you're having fun! I Love being around horses.

MyShilohRanch said...

Cutting is a blast!!! Lucky lady! Is this BF's arena? I would love to learn ... I hear you CAN teach old dogs new tricks! haha Another friend of mine was just up at Sonny Rice's and she got to ride his champion cutter, as well as get coached by him! *sigh* I am glad you are enjoying your life ... Sophie appears to be enjoying hers! Fair skies my friend.

turquoisemoon said...

MSR, No this is his trainer's barn. He's got a barn, but it's for cow stuff. They're going to teach me, but we really haven't had time. And yes!!! you can teach old dogs new tricks. We just don't look as good doing them. Ha ha ha! Sophie loves going to anything farm related. She really does want to be a farm doggie...She really is such a good girl. I put her at that gate and told her to stay, and she was there for almost an hour. She's the best and the smartest dog I have ever owned. I love her so much...oooh and LD too.
Teresa, not only are horses fun to be around, but they also smell good...

Kittie Howard said...

What never ceases to amaze me about an operational farm/ranch is that the animals know what to do and do it. Like Sophie (what a love) they're usually patient and proud of what they've done. When it comes to a lot of humans in this world, I just don't get it.