Tuesday, April 13, 2010

LD Update

My little boy is getting more and more feeble each day....He's not in any pain... I pick him up, I hold him...there's no flenching or yelping.
He's just old.
I'm sure he feels safe when I pet him or sit by him.
I will not put him down because he is old.
He seems lost at times...
I've seen this look on people and know that...at that moment, they too are lost.
The things we could learn from nature, if we'd just open our eyes, our minds, our hearts...

He walks around and around the deck.
I have the doorway blocked so he can't fall down the steps.


I borrowed this post from my Words to Live By...Sept. 21st, 2009
His condition has deteriorated since that post.
But here's the deal...I've learned a lot about life from this little guy.


This is LD, my chihuahua. I did not pick LD, I inherited him. LD is old, fat, deaf & blind. In his younger years, he was something. He was quite ferocious. In fact, he was a pit-chihuahua. LD is an 18 pounder. He doesn't care, he doesn't diet, he doesn't exercise, he doesn't contemplate, or compare. He's real happy with himself... The vet once laughingly announced that he was big boned...ha ha ha!!! Body image isn't part of his life. LD is about 14 or 15...in human years, that makes him about 100. He doesn't ponder his youth, things he did wrong, his successes, his failures, missed love, travels, wealth, loss jobs, promotions, size, friends or enemies, beauty, adventures, old age, future, the color of his hair, savings or lack of, mistakes, or death...he just lives for today! His ego doesn't compare... There's no chatter in his brain ranking the situation. He's not better than, or less than. His life story doesn't come into play... He doesn't blame his parents or their parents..gosh, he doesn't even blame himself. (He'll never, ever be invited on the Oprah show) He doesn't do drugs or drink...nothing to fog his life! He doesn't ponder life after death, he doesn't ponder heaven, and he doesn't ponder or judge your life. LD just lives .. good/bad/right/wrong...just lives. He's deaf and blind and is still a happy boy! He's not trying to sue anyone. No one to fault..it is what it is... He doesn't ask, "why is this happening?" LD is a happy dog, a lucky dog, a funny dog...and a blessing to me.

10 comments:

MyShilohRanch said...

Oh, I am SO sad ... these pictures, this little sweetheart's facial expression and his tail carriage ... it breaks my heart. I love LD, just from your posts.

Does he also spend more and more time sleeping? The process goes backwards, like a newborn baby sleeps a lot ... so do we, as we are about to be born into eternity. How sad for you :(...

I have a friend that carried her blind little old dog in a baby sling while she did almost everything, including working. Just an idea... They both were very cozy. He was a little smaller though, LD does look "big boned." :)

Peace, my friend ... shalom ...

turquoisemoon said...

Yes, he sleeps alot. He lays on his back, spread eagle, eyes wide open...not moving. I listen to hear his snoring, or watch for movement. BTW..that is a good idea, but he's a heafty little guy. He's still a happy boy...just sometimes seems confused and lost. Thank you for your warm thoughts and words.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Doggy blessings to you, L.D., old fella.

Teresa Evangeline said...

It must be hard to see your faithful little companion going through these changes. But then, as your post indicates, that is our projection. I love your description of how dogs just are, "There's no chatter in his brain ranking the situation...His life story doesn't come into play." I'm learning more and more, every day, how dogs can teach us to just Be. Thanks for sharing his life with us.

Kittie Howard said...

Oh, but my heart goes out to you. When Chena, our kitty of 21 years, reached this stage, we didn't put her down either. Instead, each day was a treasure. We'd take turns holding her and holding her, her eyes closed, the purrs soft, but soooo sweet and loving. And our vet concurred. Lots of hugs to you and L.D.

turquoisemoon said...

Thanks for all your kind words. I'll keep everyone posted.

YELLOWDOG GRANNY said...

bless his little heart...

Arkansas Patti said...

Somehow I missed this beautiful post. Bless you both.

Linda Starr said...

What a sweet happy boy LD is, he reminds me of Gary's and my first dog together, Blue. One thing I noticed which might help him is to cut his toe nails so he can walk without the nails touching before the feet, not too close, but just enough to make walking easier for him. He is such a special guy and I can see in his face he is content, knows he is loved, but knows he's slowing down. He looks like a real cuddler.

turquoisemoon said...

Thanks Linda...we've got an appointment next week. He needs toes done, plus all his shots. He'll be happy going for a car trip, till he realizes that he's going to the vet...LOL