Friday, February 26, 2010

Sister Rosa, Palm Reader - Part 1


I’m an astrologer. I’m like this total Sagittarius. I’m optimistic, upbeat, love travel, outdoorsy, and love horses. If you read a description of a Sag…that’s me. Take my picture, coat it with plastic and call me a Sagittarius icon.
Ten years ago, in March/April?, I decided to run down to Santa Fe. The blahs of KC were getting to me. I needed an attitude adjustment. I needed to figure out just what I was going to do with the rest of my life. I needed some good Mexican food. I needed art…different art from what is standard in the mid-west. Too many sunflowers, windmills…I needed New Mexico. My husband had recently died, so I knew that many changes were in store for me that year. The silent road trip and the NM sights that provoke new thoughts, were needed.
I normally don’t go to palm readers, tarot readers, or physics. Why you ask??? Because, to be perfectly honest, I’d like to see their chart before I let them “read” me. I want to know their basic energy (positive/negative). I simply don’t want anyone’s negative views to get into my head… I read at the Renaissance Festival for years. Our booth had many fine readers, but noticed some were simply downers. I don’t care if I’m going to find or lose money, love, health…but, I want to laugh when I get the news. I want to feel optimistic… This is me…
I asked my cousin if she’d like to come along. She too loved the art and the mystic of the southwest. Once in Santa Fe, we ate, stopped by the Jackalope and then ran out to the Tesuque flea market. On our way to the flea market, we drove near the intersection of Cerrillos and St. Francis and she hollered out, “Sister Rosa, Palm Reader. I want to go there.”
“Nooooo way…” I laughed. But she badgered me until I gave in. “What could it hurt?” I thought. She could get her reading and I’d just wait. No big deal…
A few days later, we were heading to Taos by way of Chimayo, we stopped for her reading.
Sister Rosa reads out of her home. You walk into her living room and two couches greet you. You sit and wait your turn. On the left wall is a pay phone. Her dining room is part of the living room and you see her kitchen straight ahead. In the kitchen, a television was going and I believe one of her grandchildren was listening to cartoons. To your right there were two bedrooms and a bathroom between them. One of the bedrooms was set up for her readings.
I settled in to wait for my cousin’s turn. A few minutes later, the bedroom door opened and the previous customer left. The bedroom door closed for awhile…I’m guessing that Sister Rosa clears her room after each reading. After a few minutes, Sister Rosa, a short Hispanic woman came out of the room and into where we were seated. In a loud voice, she almost hollered, “Who’s is it, who’s husband just died of lung cancer?” I shrugged, raised my hand and went in for a reading…

8 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Holy moly!

Arkansas Patti said...

Funny how they are all called Sister Rosa. That was eerie however. Often wondered, never been. Can't wait to hear the rest.

Stark Raving Zen said...

Oh this is just excellent!! I love Sister Rosa already! I'm laughing out loud here. I want to hear more!

MyShilohRanch said...

Me too, SRZ!!!

turquoisemoon said...

This is a three parter (I think) and is a true story. What happens after Sister Rosa's reading, gets even more strange.

A Traveling Knitter said...

I love your your flare. Santa fe is one of my favorite places. I know the intersection your talking about. The lamp I am writing by, came from jackalope. Can't wait for more Siter Rosa

Kittie Howard said...

OMG! Knocks the wind outta my sails!

Roxanne Viera said...

She is amazing! I had a reading done almost 8weeks ago and she helped me overcome my situation. :)